Intel i7 930 CPU usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel i7 930 CPU usage

I just have a quick question regarding the cpu usage on an intel i7 system. I just bought an i7 930 2.8Ghz and did some test renderings. When i take a look at the cpu usage in the taskmanager then i can see that when calculating the LC the cpu usage is at 25% (LC Passes was set to and when it comes to the irradiance map it is at 50%. So my first guess was that i forgot to enable HT in the bios, but this isnt the case, its activated. Then i searched the internet but couldnt find anything regarding this topic. There was a thread at cgarchitect where someone stated that its all good even if only half of the power is showing up. So what i would like to know now is if it is normal on an HT System that you only see half of the power its supposed to be? I also have only 4 buckets when rendering, i was expecting 8. Should those virtual cores showing up when rendering?

WinXP 64Bit
    3dsmax 2009 Design 64Bit
    VRay 1.5 SP4a

Thanks in advance
    Olli
    Attached Files
    www.short-cuts.de

hi olli, i have the i7 920 xp64. its working with all 8 cores at 100% during lc and rendering max 2009 and 2010 64. set the lc passes to 8 and try a very simple scene. sometimes loading proxies etc. takes to long, that not all the cores can render...

Comment

If you have lots of proxies and displacement, they will reduce memory usage while the proxies are loaded or the displacement is generated.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi kein_plan,
        well you seem to be right. In a very simple scene all 8 cores are showing up and the cpu usage is at 100%. Unfortunatly in the current scene i am working on this is not the case. I hope this is not related to proxies because i have to use quite a lot of them all the time. No matter what i do i cant get all 8 cores working on my current project - which kind of sucks. Even after waiting 20 minutes its not going to get better. Lucky for me that i only have to render one last image and i hope i dont have this problem in further projects.

Edit:
        vlado: memory usage is not a problem, cpu usage is the problem. There is no displacement in the scene.
        kein_plan: Even if i delete the proxies its not getting better. Hopefully its just the scene...
        Last edited by Olli96; 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM.
        www.short-cuts.de

Comment

i hope its only your scene... you can try resetting and merging all in a new scene... good luck

Comment

Did u set to 8 cores under Number of Passes in LC?
            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Yup, i wrote that in my first post but the forum converts it into a smilie "8"+")" =
              www.short-cuts.de

Comment

Working...
              X