Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is HDRI backgroud so big?

Hi

I bought this hdri from cg-source http://www.cg-source.com/details.php...pricat=texture.
    As you can see it's a good hdri with a fair size i think...
    my problem is wen i use it to light and reflections in my back ground all i get is what you see below in the image... why? is it scale, units? i am working in millimeters.

Greetings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	870068
    Last edited by on3ddesign; 03-09-2010, 03:57 AM.

I have several HDRI's that do the same thnig, but others that don't. You might have to match the camera they used.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

thanks for the tip! unfortunately this hdri doesn't have any info on camera on its properties

Comment

It's a sphere environment background so you don't need to match the camera. What you see is normal. Depending on the camera lens you use in the viewport it's either this big or smaller. But in any case HDRI sphere shots can't be rendered as backgrounds if you're even a little bit serious about the quality of the render output. They just have too much distortion (what you can see in your preview). You need a backplate which is a classical background photo. Show this in the render. HDRI sphere you can use "only" for reflections.
        David Slachta
        The Looop CGI
        Shanghai, China

Comment

I have several HDRI's that I am able to use for lighting, reflection, and environment. The are exterior HDRI's and I love them!
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Exactly, it's only a matter of resolution. I also have a number of environment HDRIs that are 15,000-pixel wide and they can be used perfectly as backgrounds on large-resolution renders. Anything below 10,000 pixels, however, tends to become pixellated or blurred when used as background.
            Check my blog

Comment

Keep in Mind this is highly FOV dependent. And easy to calc. If you have a FOV of 90 for example you will hit a max of 1/4th of the HDRs resolution. So with 10k you can do a max of 2500px wide without sizing up the BG unintentionally. Also bear in mind that most HDRs are not as sharp as normal Fotos for various reasons (depending a lot on the procedure used to create them).

Comment

Thanks every one for the tips!

Greetings
                Orlando Nóbrega

Comment

Working...
                X