Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray + Hair&Fur + x Machines = Total madness

Hello,

I have a question about rendering Hair&Fur with Vray.

I have a scene with a large plot of grass. This grass is mostly a standard preset for Hair and Fur. In effects the Hair&Fur is set active, with the Hairs dropdownbox set to "mr Prim". I tried to render this scene on multiple pc's

At Home (Quadcore with 8gb ram, Nvidia GTX 360 and WinXP 64bit): It renders normally. Both in Geometry mode and mr Prim.

At work:

One group (Mostly Dual-Quads, 16-24gb ram with Quadro Cards and all WinXP 64bit): Does not render the hair in mr Prim mode, but they do render it with Geometry mode.

Second group (Dual-Quads and Dual Hexacore, both 24gb ram, Quadro Cards and Win7) Seems to even crash in mr Prim mode, but renders normally on Geometry mode.

One pc (Dual-Quad, 16gb ram, Quadro Card and XP64bit) seems to render the hair in mr Prim mode.

Why is this? It is the same scene all around, nothing has changed? According to Spot3d Vray Guide i should set it to Mr Prim. It looks better with that. Why do these pcs all have a different outcome?

All versions are using regular 3dsmax, not design.

With kind regards,

BcM
    Last edited by BcM; 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM.

Nobody has any idea whats wrong? Meh, Getting quite annoyed with this problem.

Comment

Which V-Ray version is this? What is the dynamic memory limit set to in the V-Ray settings?

When you say that it does not render in "mr prim" mode, does it mean that the rest of the scene renders normally, but only the Hair&Fur is missing, or the scene does not render at all?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Mostly ranging from 1.5sp4 to sp5, and the dynamic memory limit is mostly set to roughly 60% of the sytems ram.

On the pc's where it doesnt in mr Prim mode, the scene render perfectly but without Hair&Fur

Comment

Ok; on those machines that do not render, is the 3ds Max root folder writable? For whatever strange reason, the Hair&Fur implementation writes a .dra file in a \hair sub-folder inside the 3ds Max root folder (I mean it's strange that it writes the file there, not that it writes a file at all). If it cannot write this file, then the hair will not render.

I will make a note to try and use the temporary user folder for this, for future builds.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Sorry for the late response. The machines that do not render are fixed now. Those who keep crashing still do. Is there any solution for that?

Thanks!

Comment

Did you check the writability of the 3ds Max folder?

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

EDIT: deleted - seems to be a new general problem with DR rendering. I don't think it's H&F specific now.
                Last edited by simmsimaging; 17-02-2011, 01:28 AM.
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
                X