apple style floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apple style floor

I have been trying different methods within the forum to try and recreate the apple style environment where the floor is pure white and has shadow and reflection.

If possible I would like to avoid doing any post work or comping together passes.

I am using Gamma 2.2 with linear work flow, I have read that this can affect the result? Also using Vray camera. Some methods worked with a normal camera but when switching to a Vray camera the ground plane becomes grey.

What is the best way to to create this? Most topics on this forum are left unsolved.

see my answer in your other thread here:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...e-matte-shadow
    you need to make your ground a matte object. That way you can just render and in photoshop replace your background with a pure white - or whatever else you like. (You use a straight render with alpha channel and that's it)

Double posting actualy decreases your chances of an answer so remember that next time. Good luck and post some images so we can see your progress.
    Last edited by Morne; 18-01-2011, 05:21 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

I didn't intend it to be a double post. I thought the two topics were very different in terms of what I was asking. The fact that you have suggested to use a matte object does now tie the two posts together if I knew that was going to be the solution I would of put it all in a single post.

I would of thought a material override would have been the solution some how for an apple style floor. But thanks for the help non the less.

Comment

you have not mentioned how to do reflection? I understand how to catch the shadow using matte object. This is think is where my two posts are different? matte object only stores shadow not reflection.

Comment

You need to use another trick I think. You want a reflective floor, matte or not doesn't matter IMO. Use the reflection render element as well. Then do a second render, but for that one swap your object/objects material with a pure white VrayLightMtl. This will give you a white reflection, which you can use as a "fake" alpha to cut out the original objects reflection from the Reflect RE pass, then composite in Photoshop or wherever.

I have just recently learned this one and it did the trick very nicely.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
          e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

you can put a vray color map in your environment slot of the floormat with pure white. this way you have pure white floor, and the reflections and shadows from other objects.
            Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
            www.shack.de

Comment

Does the floor mat still need to be a matte object?

Comment

With the floor object a white material with a colour map in the environment slot set to white, the floor object set to matte object with alpha contribution -1 gives me this. The alpha has no shadow information it.
                Attached Files

Comment

as brett says, you might need to render two different passes. pull a mask for the reflections is usually really quick that way, no matte objects involved.

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...flection-Alpha

Comment

this is just a ruff test. but is this what you mean?
                    there's no comp yet, so with an extra shadow pass you can comp it.

Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
                    www.shack.de

Comment

jonnybefree that's exactly what I want. when you say "there's no comp yet, so with an extra shadow pass you can comp it." I can see shadow information already there in your example, what do you mean?.

I'm after a solution without having to comp it if possible.

Comment

i mean you can adjust the intensity of the shadow or reflections with extra passes.

i sended you the max file per pm.

best regards
                        jonas
                        Jonas

www.jonas-balzer.de
                        www.shack.de

Comment

Thanks for your help I have 2010 at work so cant view it but I have 2011 at home. I will check it out later.

Comment

I've been trying to simulate these "apple style" ground reflections in V-Ray for awhile now with mixed results. Ideally, I'd like to achieve accurate ground plane reflections with falloff and an accompanying reflection alpha matte, and all of this against a pure white background (255, 255, 255). I cringe saying this, but it's so much easier to do this in mental ray with the MIP shadow matte production shader. It's the first time I've ever said this when comparing the two packages.

I can come close by assigning a VRayMtl to my ground plane that has pure white diffuse and reflection values (fresnel off) and plugging a pure white VRayColor texture into the material environment slot. My overall background slot is pure black. One problem I'm having is that I'm seeing reflections on the ground that are not appearing on the product, particularly when I'm using complex light rigs. I suspect these are perhaps double reflections (indirect reflections), as light exclusion does not resolve the problem. If anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated

Johnnybfree, if you would be so kind as to share you setup, I'd be grateful.

Cheers!

Comment

Sorry for ressurecting this thread but with the new "matte for reflection" feature in Vray 2.3. i`m getting a little bit confused. I may have a few questions but i guess it all comes down to the correct way of doing it.
                              In the past i had no problems with the matte shadow stuff. Now i have to make renderings for a client in this typical "apple style" white room with reflections. I just get lost in the settings and always and up in a chaos of overrides/cheats etc. and that isn`t the clean worklfow i am looking for, cause i have to create a good amount of these renderings.

- Anyone kind and skilled enough to summarize this into a few clean steps?
                              - Second when i came close to a result i realized the same problem cao_photo describes. See the attached pic. I don`t have a clou why these reflections on the borders are just on the groundplane and not on the object itself?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Matte-Reflection.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	845826

Thanks in advance!
                              Olika
                              OLIKA
                              www.olika.de

Comment

Working...
                              X