Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the correct process for Irrandience map on animation without camera movement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the correct process for Irrandience map on animation without camera movement?

Hi,
    I am doing a 360 turntable animation of a car spinning. The camera is stationary. What is the best/correct way to deal with the Irradience map in the Light Cache when using DBR and a farm? I've never done this before and without doing it correctly I'm getting big black buckets from some slaves due to IR map problems-not too sure what the process is when using a farm.

Thanks

Hi Darlene_0,

If you have the use of a farm it would be better to bake out the irradiance map/light cache and then send the whole job to the farm. The reason for baking out the lighting information is to ensure that each of the blades is using the same GI computations to avoid flickering in your animation. Make sure when you bake out the IR and LM that you send the calculations to one blade. It should be far quicker and you wont get the issues with dropped buckets. We have had issues before with the DRspanwers on blades dropping buckets which results in the black frames.

Mark
    Head of CGI
    TaylorJames - New York

Comment

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a try. I found this tutorial, and hopefully this is what you're talking about.... http://www.trinity3d.com/tutorials/v...ps/index.shtml

Another question, if I have to do my final renders at 6000 pixels, I assume I need to calculate the maps at the same size? (sorry if that's a dumb question-total noob to this stuff)

Thanks,
      Darlene
      Last edited by Darlene_O; 27-01-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

the car is moving. means you can NOT use a saved map.

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

OK, then what would you recommend? I have 4 slaves I want to use.
          Originally posted by Da_elf View Post
          the car is moving. means you can NOT use a saved map.

Comment

ive never really had problems with single frame rendering. however ive never had to render at 6k for an animation

---------------------------------------------------
            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

if you need to do animations there are two ways to go about it. Brute force the thing which is very computationally expensive, or do an animated prepass where an irradiance map is saved out for every frame. Then during the main render it interpolates between those individual maps. Still somewhat expensive, but the nice thing is you can submit the prepass as a network job and have individual computers working on the different maps.
              Jeff Adams - Freelance Architectural Illustrator
              http://www.jamodeler.com/freelance/

Comment

Here is a new tutorial on irradiance map + light cache method for animations with moving objects http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...ials_anim2.htm

So are your lights stationary and model is rotating? Just checking... if the lights were moving too you could use standard light map baking for animated camera.

Comment

Working...
                X