X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anisotropic Questions

Vlado-

Questions for you from the tech side.

1. Why do we need to have a glossy reflection to correctly capture the look of a turned material, like you would see from a lathe or engine turning? I'm just interested in why the render needs to have multiple samples to capture the effect.

2. Why will the cylinder primitive not work unless to take the center vert of the cap is raise it so its not completely planar vs a plane prim where it works just fine?

Thanks!

-Michael

Originally posted by anchovy View Post
    1. Why do we need to have a glossy reflection to correctly capture the look of a turned material, like you would see from a lathe or engine turning? I'm just interested in why the render needs to have multiple samples to capture the effect.
    The anisotropic reflection happens because the microscopic scratches on the surface of the metal reflect light in different directions (as opposed to just one direction for mirror reflections).

2. Why will the cylinder primitive not work unless to take the center vert of the cap is raise it so its not completely planar vs a plane prim where it works just fine?
    Because V-Ray has no way to figure out how to orient the reflections for a perfectly horizontal surface.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado-

Thanks, I figured that had to be the case, just wanted to make sure.

-Michael

Comment

Working...
      X