empty openEXR file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• empty openEXR file

I've just finished rendering a large(ish) (3378x4656) image with several vray render elements (zdepth, matid, alpha, samplerate) and outputting to openEXR via the vray raw image file. But when I open the file in photoshop with EXRpro I'm just getting a empty file with render element layers but they are all empty.
    I can save the file (RGBA) from the framebuffer but I can't get the additional render element layers to save in openexr.

Do you think this is a Exrpro plugin bug or is it something to do with vray?
    I rendered a smaller version 2k which saved and opened ok into photoshop.

(wishlist) could we be able to save all the render elements into an openexr format from the framebuffer, as this would be a great backup.
    Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
    I need a new signature
    --
    Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
    ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti

Originally posted by ior=0 View Post
    I've just finished rendering a large(ish) (3378x4656) image with several vray render elements (zdepth, matid, alpha, samplerate) and outputting to openEXR via the vray raw image file. But when I open the file in photoshop with EXRpro I'm just getting a empty file with render element layers but they are all empty.
    Do you get the elements when you view the file in 3ds Max itself?

(wishlist) could we be able to save all the render elements into an openexr format from the framebuffer, as this would be a great backup.
    Yep, it's on the to-do list.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I got empty file too !

I use standard max render frame window. It take 10 mb (1kres) and in photoshop I got only white alpha (lol?) Any pass I open looks similar...

Is it bug? or is it me?
      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

If you are using the 3ds Max frame buffer, then unfortunately there is nothing we can do on our side (the saving itself is done by the 3ds Max OpenEXR bitmap saver).

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

umh.... I had no trouble with vray 1.5 and 32 bit exr...what happen with vray 2.0 ? :s

about 32 bit anf vfb, do I still need a script to have it run as 32 bit or just render&enjoy ?
          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
            I had no trouble with vray 1.5 and 32 bit exr...what happen with vray 2.0 ? :s
            Nothing has changed in that regard at all.

about 32 bit anf vfb, do I still need a script to have it run as 32 bit or just render&enjoy ?
            You can still use the script, but there is also a check-box in the file browse dialog for the raw .exr file.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

[QUOTE=vlado;450721]Do you get the elements when you view the file in 3ds Max itself?/QUOTE]

sorry I've deleted the empty file now, so I can't check. In the end I was able to save the matID channel and zdepth channel as separate exr from the VBF and merge them in photoshop, not ideal but it worked.
              Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
              I need a new signature
              --

Comment

Hi Vlado - I've just had the same thing happen again - empty channels in the .exr Photoshop will open it with proexr, will create layers for the channels I have exported but they are all blank (no data - totally transparent).
                If I try and open in max's view image I can see the channel data (main, matid, zdpeth) but the preview is black and max won't open it?
                I had to save the separate channel's from the VBF and merge them in photoshop. I'd send you a copy of the empty file but it is 29mb??? Image size was 2952x1962.
                Any idea's?
                Simon

I need a new signature
                --

Comment

Working...
                X