Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than 10 slaves for DR ?

Hi there,

We now have more than 10 render salves for DR. Afaik every Vray License comes with 10 DR Nodes.
    We have 5 Vray Licenses, but for some reason I don´t get more than 10 machines to render at once.
    Our dongles are attached to the workstations.
    The Vray License setting of the first 5 slaves points to workstation 1
    the remaining slaves point to workstation 2. But still just 10 slaves will render.
    Is it possible at all or am I missing something ?

this limit is hard wired into vray.. if i remember correctly when DR was being developed it was found that after 10 machines, network overhead meant rapidly diminishing performance returns.

Comment

The dongles need to be plugged into the same machine running the V-Ray license server, so that it can add all the licenses together. If the dongles are on separate machines, then V-Ray has no way to know it.

V-Ray itself does not place a limit on how many machines are used for DR, so long as you have the licenses for them.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

well i stand corrected! thats good to know

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          If the dongles are on separate machines, then V-Ray has no way to know it.
          I thought they would recognize the different licenses by adding different license machines (who have a dongle attached)
          in the license settings of each Slave.

But I´ll just try with 2 dongles on one machine and let you know if it works.

Thank You !

Comment

Hi Samuel,

I can confirm that DR on more than 10 machines does work when two or more dongles are plugged in to the same machine. I've had it working with 28 slaves

Best Regards,

Andy
            Thou shalt not kill clients - For they know not what they ask

www.mediastation.co.uk

Comment

Thanks, it works that way now with more than 10 Slaves.

One thing I find a bit odd. It seems only to work at a workstation that is
              a. added as license machine on the render slaves.
              b. has two dongles attached.
              c. The rendering must be started local on exactely this machine.

So if someone else would like to render with more than 10 machines, he´d first needs to
              add this machine as license server to all Render Slaves. Can´t this be a bit easier ? I mean
              you add 3 machines as license server anyway. If someone now starts a DR from a machine that
              has only one dongle attached, why don´t the slaves automatically look for additional licenses
              in the network ?

For example
              Renderslave 1-15 all have the workstations "ws01", ws02", ws03" as their license servers
              (All have a dongle attached).
              Now Workstation "ws04" who also has one dongle attached sends a DR job. The slaves than find a license
              at ws01 and ws02. So DR with more than 10 would be possible and less work.
              Why can´t it be that way ?

Comment

in the past ive always had all the dongles plugged into a single server on the network, one license server running there, with all the vray licenses. that way, your WS 01-04 can pull their licenses from the same source as your renderboxes do.

Comment

Working...
                X