Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement Sides Weird - but front ok. Help please

Hi all

As you can see in the attached image, the fron face of my white bricks looks pretty good displaced, but the sides looks messed up. I'm using default vray 3D displacement (continuity ticked) and amount 10mm. Any thoughts? LightCache also takes FOREVER with this. Very quick if I disable displacement. (using auto on 3500MB)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	displacement.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	872734
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

How clean is the Geometry? If using displacement they should all be clean quads.

Comment

The geometry is spotless. Modelled in Autocad and is just a big wall (230mm wide so it has thickness) The front face as well as the side face is just one big square polygon. I was thinking if blurring the black/white displacement map a bit in photoshop to give a more even result. Hmmm but then why do I get a perfect result on the front face, but the side looks so bad?
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Could you pop up a wireframe anyway? It might even be that the walls have so little geometry that the entire effect is being made by the displacement and the quality isn't high enough to get the detail working well. That could be causing the blackening on the sides. Try sticking a tessellate modifier on the walls before the vray displace with a tension of 0 and set to poly instead of tri mode and see if that helps.

Comment

Cheers, Tesselate didn't subdivide enough so added a quadrify and that seemed to have sorted it. Thanks for the tip
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

All good - for small detail like you have in your shot you'd need to use a pretty high amount of displacement subdivisions to get edges small enough to do that cleanly. There's nothing really more to learn about it but I reckon I'll do a short post or vid about it.

Comment

Thanks, that will be most welcome
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Working...
              X