host names not being resolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• host names not being resolved

All of the sudden two workstations can not connect to DR via the host name. I can connect via IP but not host name.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this? Both systems XP pro 32 bit.

Are you able to connect to those machines by names in other ways (e.g. ping from the command prompt, or opening a shared folder with the computer name etc)?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes I can ping by ip and host name. The odd thing is when I resolve the servers they all come up with the same IP that I don't recognize. I suspect it may be my router IP. If I set up the nodes via IP they work. The other thing Is that I had to change all my license hosts to IP's instead of host names in order to get those to work.

Comment

This is really strange. All the IPs resolve if there is no internet connection. As soon as the workstation connects to the internet all the IPs defer to the same IP. I think the IP is associated with my model since it's not used for any other devices or computers on my network.

Comment

It seems to be related to my internet connection. Everything works fine until I connect the modem to the router. Then the servers can't resolve. As soon as the connection is removed they resolve. This is happening on all my workstations. Everything was working fine yesterday. No upgrades or any changes to the system.

Comment

Ah, one of those things. I'm afraid I can't really help there :-/

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Specifying severs and licenses by IP as opposed to host name gets the farm running. Now I occasionally get dropped buckets that render black or miss a bitmap. All UNC paths.

Comment

I had new strange issues even after changing my nodes to IP instead of name. Every once in a while some nodes would render without texture or light. I swapped out my router and the problem is solved. Back to using computer names for my nodes and no dropped buckets.

Scary. I had had problems caused by a failing switch recently as well. That stuff doesn't last forever and when they fail they don't seem to stop working. They just stop working correctly and cause a lot of difficult to diagnose network issues. I'm keeping a spare router now as a backup because without my network I'm screwed.

Comment

Working...
                X