Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ies lights and vray .. i give up .. the preverbial beating a dead horse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ies lights and vray .. i give up .. the preverbial beating a dead horse..

hello all...

i think i just have finally given up. Its been so long since i have been on here and i have searched prior to this about ies lights. I have checked everything based on all the topics i just feel im missing something. My model is all in real world units everything to scale 1:1. I just dont get why my ies lights are not working, honestly I just dont know what im doing wrong ready to just pack it in on ies lights forever. Im running max design 2011 and vray advance 1.5 SP5.

Ive attached a link to my scene if anyone has 2 seconds and a golden heart to see what im doing wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13239233/baxter%20003.zip

Kind Regards

Ryan

I checked out your scene... and I don't see anything particularly wrong here. Are you sure your profile was for recessed overheads as opposed to just a wall wash? I can get it to work when I move the lights closer to the floor, which would make me think that this profile isn't suitable for the lights on the ceiling.

I turned off all your other lights and the sun/sky and I could *barely* make out the lights from the IES profile here, leading me to believe that the profile isn't ideal for what you are using it for.

I plugged in some other profiles I have from erco.com and from lithonia.com, and things seemed to be ok when I used a profile for recessed lighting.

So I don't think you did anything really wrong here, I think the profile kinda sucks. You could juice up the settings if you *have* to use this one, but that's not ideal. Move your lights close to the wall and you can see just how fast they are falling off. Hope that helps...

Comment

Thanks for checking out my scene greatly appreciate it. However these are the lights from our electrical engineer that are actually being installed in the building. The ones of main concern are the wall sconce ones. Doesnt make sense the IES files are from the manufacturer of the lights so i dont understand why its not showing up

Comment

Oh I see now, was looking at the wrong ones.

Kinda weird. If I moved the camera forward and render they show up no problem, but where the camera is by default and yeah nothing was really showing here. Strange.

I played with the settings for a while and there was no real effect. So on a hunch I deleted your old sconce IES lights and made brand new ones and everything then worked fine. Somehow your lights must have gotten corrupted and they are no longer working properly. Just delete the old ones and make new ones from scratch and the problem seems to go away.

Odd though!

Comment

Awesome thanks for the suggestion! I will give it a shot and let you know what happens. Curious what are your units system and display set at?

Comment

On habit I just let max take the settings of whatever file I am opening, so they should be the same settings you are using.

Comment

Working...
            X