Bug: First Render Effect called even when render was aborted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug: First Render Effect called even when render was aborted

If you abort the rendering, VRay will still apply the first active render effect in the effect list to the image. Depending on the effect used and if the effect itself checks for a canceled rendering this leads to different errors. This was tested using VRay 2.01 on 3ds max 2011 64-bit.

Render Effect : Error
    • FileOuput: will save the image even though the rendering was canceled
    • psd-manager 2.1: will save the PSD file even though the rendering was canceled (newer versions will include a workaround for this VRay bug)
    • Film Grain: The effect is applied to the first two pixel rows of the image:
    • Brightness and Contrast: The effect is applied to the first row of the image:
    • Other effects: not tested

Steps to reproduce:
    • Add a Film Grain render effect.
    • Set Grain parameter to 10.0
    • Render an image and abort it while it is still rendeing.
    • You will notice that the first 2 pixel rows have the effect applied.

Workaround:
    Add a FileOutput render effect as the first effect, but don't specify any filename. This will act as a "Do nothing" effect shielding the following effects from the problem.

This bug was reported to me as a psd-manager bug from Peter Stulz from Xoio and I noticed that this actually is a VRay bug. Would be nice to get it fixed in VRay.

Best Regards,
    Daniel
    Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

I guess you can view it as a bug; I will look into it - in the meantime simply check the progress callback before doing anything in your render effect.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      in the meantime simply check the progress callback before doing anything in your render effect.
      Already implemented, that's what I ment with workaround. Since the PSD file is written on the fly to conserve memory, there wasn't a need to check for this situation. VRay users had to wait until the PSD file was written to disk (which can take a while for many layers and channels).

Thanks,
      Daniel
      Daniel Schmidt - Developer of psd-manager

Comment

Working...
      X