bizarre bump issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bizarre bump issue

wooden wall panelling, very simple material, diffuse and bump maps, both jpeg. no reflections, specular or anything.

renders fine without bump map..

buuut, with bump map.. well.. check the test renders.. looks a bit like the map is in the opacity slot or something (it isnt)

also take 3 times longer to render.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bump on.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	872800Click image for larger version

Name:	bump off.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	872801

any ideas?

Your bump may be too strong and cause the surface normals to face the light. Does the wall have any thickness?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

no the wall is a single face.. the bump is a standard black to white jpg..set to 30 strength... about as standard as you can get..

is it actually possible to turn the normals through more than 90 degrees with a bump map? the light is on the opposite side of the wall after all...

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
        no the wall is a single face..
        Then giving it some thickness will solve the issue.

is it actually possible to turn the normals through more than 90 degrees with a bump map? the light is on the opposite side of the wall after all...
        No, the bump will never turn the normals more than 90 degrees, but this is not happens in your case; it is enough that the normals turn to face the light (see the drawing) and since the wall is single side, there is nothing to stop the shadow ray from reaching the light and illuminating the surface.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bump_issue.png
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	843941

We could add logic to detect this case and consider the surface in shadow in both cases, however this breaks other situations where it leads to unwanted results.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X