Vray Fur Density/ Area does not react

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Fur Density/ Area does not react

We had this from time to time: You crank up the density / area but the hair distribution in VrayFur just remains extremely thin.

Mostly we do get the desired density, but for some cases the density just stays unsatisfactory, while rendertimes even go pretty higher (I would estimate). This is weird, because normally the density/area in the same kind of use can be really ok -let's say at a value of 1-2-, but in these cases you push it all the way up to 500 and still it looks poor.

(Sometimes it looks like the Face-Size still has influence onto the density, even when switching to Density/Area)

Of course we are talking about objects of the same scale, which have not been scaled etc.

Any hint where this might come from?

Best regards, Peter

http://www.xoio.de

How large is the object in generic scene units (not display units)?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Object is 4 by 4 ...

... and should be enough tesselated. The image says most of it, the density of the Fur is 50 (per area). (we see about half of the carpet here)

Any idea, what could be the cause?

Thank you in advance,

Peter

Comment

Hm, looks like a bug maybe... can you get me a scene for this (just the carpet)?

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Sent it out. Give me a notice, if you did not get it!

Comment

So had a look at the scene; your scene is set in meters, so you are telling V-Ray to generate 50 hair strands per square meter - which is way too low for a carpet. Set it to something like 20000 and it should start to look ok.

It might be a good idea if the "per area" setting was always in centimeters or something and we took the scene units in consideration. It might make it more portable...

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Ok, thank you, that makes sense.

As you said, the density-value is fairly generic, so you do not see the correlance between your scene units and the area directly ... Is just a matter of putting it more clear in the UI, I guess.

Regards, P

Comment

Yep, I also changed that section in the help file, hopefully it makes things a bit clearer.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Working...
                X