Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Render to Texture and Flatiron: Vray cannot output non square images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render to Texture and Flatiron: Vray cannot output non square images?

I found another thread that suggests enabling VFB and saving out split renders in order to get the image that I desire.
    Fine, that is a work around.

But is there any reason why vray 2.0 cannot render non-square images via render to texture or through flatiron in max 2011?

It has become a significant slowdown in my workflow sadly.

I am on Windows 7
    Max 2011 x64
    and vRay 2.0

Thanks.

V-Ray has no problems to bake at any resolution aspect, but for whatever reason, 3ds Max always creates a square bitmap. This is true for the default scanline renderer and mental ray. It looks like a bug to me, so it would be best to report it to Autodesk.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      V-Ray has no problems to bake at any resolution aspect, but for whatever reason, 3ds Max always creates a square bitmap. This is true for the default scanline renderer and mental ray. It looks like a bug to me, so it would be best to report it to Autodesk.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I beg to Differ vlado,
      I will upload a test file in a second with several scenarios of it working, and it not working with vray.
      That's why I am led to believe this is a vRay problem.

Comment

Ok; I'm waiting (I don't have Flatiron though, so please set it with RTT only)

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Attached is a .zip containing 3 test files for you to inspect.
          A scanline, mentalray and vray folder. Each scene is exactly the same with RTT settings setup. The only difference is in the vray file I changed the sun to vray sun to get a result with the image.
          You should find that the non-vray files produce non-square textures and the vray one is square. I have even reverted to vray 1.50 SP6 for this test
          You can ignore the missing file references as they are arbitrary and accidentally still in there.

... Nevermind cannot attach more than 97kb so here is the direct link to the file:

http://www.arcestra.com/fileDl/fetch...73087355938166

Please let me know if there is any problem downloading the file.
          Thank you for looking into this problem as it has become quite a nuissance!

In the mean-time, using flatiron it will bake out selection sets at a time, meaning it will render set 1 and then set 2 and so-on. But if I use vray frame buffer to render split channel it just overwrites each image. Is there any way to get this to save a new image based on the original name so that I don't have to do everything one at a time?
          Thanks.
          Last edited by ahosking; 05-07-2011, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Ok, I see what you mean; they all bake a square texture (which is what I was seeing), but the texture is resized when it is saved to disk (what you are looking at). Will see if we can anything about it.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Ok, I see what you mean; they all bake a square texture (which is what I was seeing), but the texture is resized when it is saved to disk (what you are looking at). Will see if we can anything about it.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Thanks Vlado,

Let me know what you find. I will take this to Autodesk if it is deemed necessary.

Comment

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but have new things come to light concerning this issue? Even with the latest build I still get squared outputs from Render To Texture. Is this really a max issue?

Comment

Hi,
                  As Vlado pointed the resolution that comes from 3ds Max is always square. We will ask Autodesk about that and will keep You informed on the resolution.

Best regards,
                  Aleksandar
                  Alexander Kazandzhiev
                  V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Thank you. I understand there is a workaround using the Vray frame buffer, I'll stick to that in the meantime

Comment

Working...
                    X