Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayNormalMap - What and how? No documentation - need worflow example

Hi all

So I'm having some issues with displacemtn and want to switch to vray normal maps. Problem is I have no idea how to create it or use it. Spot3D have no documentation in this. I google search results in threads from 2006 before vray normal map was around it seems.

A quick "hold your hand" workflow would be appreciated, or at least a point in the right direction.

I read about various plugins etc for photoshop etc, do I need those or can it be done some other way. Once I have the actual normal map texture, what do I do with it?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

why not trying vraybump2normal??
    Martin
    http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
      why not trying vraybump2normal??
      same reason I havent' tried vraynormalmap, NO OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION on spot3D. I dont have time to sit and google every little setting. It's ChaosGroup's resposibility to have full and detailed documentation for their product. Otherwise the "elite few" learns new things, the rest of us gets left behind.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

i would not be so hard on the guys
        BUT
        i have to say i sometimes miss the important settings among the help files and explanation how they work rather that brief description of the function.
        PhoenixFD is a typical example....function description but really hard to understand and connect all the leads to find a solution. I ve seen all the guidance videos but i dont think its enough....at least some guys had the patience to make the examples videos and put it on youtube. Unfortunatelly i dont get the time to find yout by hit and miss how every single thing work for myself :-/
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by DVP3D View Post
          So I'm having some issues with displacemtn and want to switch to vray normal maps. Problem is I have no idea how to create it or use it. Spot3D have no documentation in this. I google search results in threads from 2006 before vray normal map was around it seems.
          Normal maps are normal maps anywhere, V-Ray or not. There are tons of tutorials on how to create and use normal maps. The VRayNormalMap plugin was initially added only because the 3ds Max Normal map did not work reliably with V-Ray proxy objects. Other than that, it works identically to the regular Normal map plugin.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Does the vray normal map automatically set the normal map gamma to 1? Meaning, if we use input gamma of 2.2 will the vraynormalmap work properly? I seem to recall having an issue with it a while back, but it was pretty long ago... and I'm not sure that was the cause of it. I never did nail it down and had to remake the material. If it doesn't set it to 1, is there some way to override it? Or would we just have to use input gamma of 1 and override all diffuse maps? (I could get used to that if it's the only way.)

Comment

ok so once I have a normal map jpg, do I just stick it into a vraynormalmap into the bump slot?
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Yes, thats how you do it: Bump Slot>Normal Map oder Vraynormal>Bitmap with your normal map assigned (load it with gamma 1, with gamma 2.2 the results are unpredictable)
                https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Use 3ds max normal map if u dont use proxy - its better and has bump option to add...

Use color2bump if u want to use grayscale as normal maps. Its vray converter grayscale to normal bump map.
                  CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Working...
                  X