Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pflow crash with Motionblur and Lightcache

Hello vlado,

I cant´t render a pflow system with motionblur and lightcache, without crashing max. It´s easy to reproduce:
    Create a standard pflow system, turn on "Motion blur", set the "Geometry samples" to 5 (this is important, with 2 it works correctly), turn on GI and set the primary or secondary engine to "Light cache". Now render the perspective view at frame 10... Crash.
    Vray version is 2.10.01 Advanced
    Could you please take a look at this problem. Thanks!

Generally it's something to do with particles being created halfway between frames so vray is trying to calculate motion blur out of nothing. You can try getting pflow to calculate more sub frames with it's interval step to feed vray more information - generally you match your vray samples to your pflow ones so if you want to use 5 motion blur samples, you'd have to up your pflow integration step to about 1/8 frame.

Comment

It shouldn't crash though, it should either render anyway maybe leaving out those particles, or notify the user of the problem.

Comment

Thanks joconnell, but I already tried many different combinations of integration steps (even 1 tick) and mb samples. It always crashes when I use LC or IR for GI. I figured out that it has something to do with the particle birth (change of vertex count), but there is no workaround for this.

Comment

Is brute force and lc a possibility? As far as I know Vlado had to do some really silly hacks to get pflow to behave - autodesk let the developer of it go almost immediately after they integrated pflow in version 5 so it's likely not the most ideal interface to pass on to a render - as far as I know vray has to recreate the entire mesh from scratch rather than getting passed clean details from pflow.

Comment

Can you tell me which 3ds Max version is this?

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
              Is brute force and lc a possibility? As far as I know Vlado had to do some really silly hacks to get pflow to behave - autodesk let the developer of it go almost immediately after they integrated pflow in version 5 so it's likely not the most ideal interface to pass on to a render - as far as I know vray has to recreate the entire mesh from scratch rather than getting passed clean details from pflow.
              No, BF/LC or other way around doesn´t work. BF/BF works, but is obviously very slow and/or noisy.

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Can you tell me which 3ds Max version is this?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Max2011 64bit and Max2012 64bit, both are crashing instantly when LC or IR calculation starts.

Comment

Right; this is already fixed in our internal builds, as it turned out. If you would like to get the fix, please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

That sounds like a useful one Vlado - what's the schedule like for the next release? As an aside will the option to save scanline exr and embed data window also be included?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    That sounds like a useful one Vlado - what's the schedule like for the next release?
                    There is a service pack coming out in the autumn - most likely around November.

As an aside will the option to save scanline exr and embed data window also be included?
                    Yes.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Super - great to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                        Right; this is already fixed in our internal builds, as it turned out. If you would like to get the fix, please email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Thanks Vlado, mail sent!

Comment

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm experiencing crashes with pflow and MBlur as well. Even with equal mblur setting (1/4 frame in pflow, 4 samples in vray).
                          I lowered the max tree depth to 50
                          leaf size is 10
                          face coef is 2
                          memory is set to static and 24gig

I figured it is the reflection of the other geo reflecting a crap load of particles...The error doesnt occur when reflections are off in the material of the stage geo (stuff that mattes out the particles.)
                          Anselm von Seherr - Thoss, incendii VFX www.incendii.com

Comment

By accident, we discovered that machines with Box#2 and #3 crash on our farm, where stock Pflow doesn't crash with the same scenes.

This is possibly relevant to you Ansi.

I haven't had time to investigate more fully.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoSilence View Post
                              Don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm experiencing crashes with pflow and MBlur as well. Even with equal mblur setting (1/4 frame in pflow, 4 samples in vray).
                              I lowered the max tree depth to 50
                              leaf size is 10
                              face coef is 2
                              memory is set to static and 24gig

I figured it is the reflection of the other geo reflecting a crap load of particles...The error doesnt occur when reflections are off in the material of the stage geo (stuff that mattes out the particles.)
                              If you have a scene that we can debug, it will be helpful...

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X