New problem with Backburner: could not obtain license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New problem with Backburner: could not obtain license

Backburner and Max 2012 have been working fine for me, and had no issues with Vray either. Started yesterday that my BB render server is having problems obtaining a license. Eventually I got it working again by restarting everything, but it's dropping out again.

It's not just for BB though, the workstation that I run as my BB server is having problems obtaining a licence just running Max.

Nothing has changed in the networking, firewalls are off or open on right port, license server is running no problem - it's all been working fine for years actually. The only thing I have done was updated my beta version of Vray, but that was the day before and it's never caused that to happen before.

Any tips or ideas of where to look for the trouble?

Thanks in advance.

/b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Already figured part of it out: I was using the start menu shortcut to edit the VRL license settings on the BB server machine. That was set correctly, but when I tried editing the license server settings via the render rollout in Max I got a totally different setting - and part of that was wrong. I changed it there and now Max and BB can find the license ok again. The start menu one is still showing a different result though, so somehow it's being recorded twice, but the only one that Max seems to care about is the one editable from within Max.

/b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

hmm thats a good point ...will have a look into that

did you have to disable IPV6 in your comp to get the BB working in 2012???
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

nope, I did not have that problem with 2012. I think it worked more or less out of the box.
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Just so you guys know Autodesk is recommending that you revert back to 2011 BB, apparently 2012 BB is full of bugs and unreliable.

Comment

It's been pretty okay for me, but I'll look around for details on how to revert. Thanks Devin.
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

I'm looking at 3rd party options so far RenderPal seems to be the cheapest option but I'm looking a Deadline as well.

Comment

Ironically, I decided to apply the 2012 hotfixes today (to solve some other issues hopefully) and that killed backburner entirely Just had to roll back to 2008 myself.

I have looked into Deadline a bit, and use the free version to run a couple of nodes for Krakatoa, but I found it was a bit cost prohibitive and BB has been running well for me for the last couple of years. Might have to reconsider....

/b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

so you rolled back to BB 2008.1 right??
                  is there any link on how to do that once you have 2012 instaled? Damn Autodesk.....wondering why they did it....
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
                    so you rolled back to BB 2008.1 right??
                    is there any link on how to do that once you have 2012 instaled? Damn Autodesk.....wondering why they did it....
                    i found nothing so i deinstall BB 2012 and install BB 2008.1.
                    the only proplem was that the manger service could not remove by installation so i use comandline
                    "SC DELETE BACKBURNER_MGR_200"

we use Windows 7. I dont know if comandline SC works on XP or vista
                    Last edited by scheinbarreal; 30-08-2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

I'm on Vista, but I just used Programs and Features to uninstall BB 2012, then installed BB 2008 using the Max 2011 installer (just installed only BB from the initial options page). You can use whichever Max version you have on hand, from 2008 to 2011 AFAIK. I had no problems with uninstalling all components, no command line necessary for me.
                      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

hi guys!

is anyone using BB 2012 in production with success?

and why the hell does it use ipv6 on one of our three (kind of identical) machines and ipv4 on the other two? my max 2012 does not even find backburner, not even if i try to run backburner manager and server locally on the same machine... damn, i guess i will have to revert back to bb 2008 which was working flawless for years.

cheers,

christoph.

christoph koehler
                        -----------------------------------------------------
                        cy architecturevisualization.
                        www.cy-architecture.com
                        visit us on facebook!
                        www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization

Comment

Autodesk is telling people to revert back to an earlier version of BB because the new version pretty much doesen't work.

Comment

yeah, i looked through all the threads about it here and at the area now, doesn´t look good... wish you had the option to just not install the thing when you install max 2012, hope to get bb 2008 working again. does max 2012 communicate with bb 2008 or is this in itself another problem i have to solve then?

christoph koehler
                            cy architecturevisualization.
                            www.cy-architecture.com
                            visit us on facebook!
                            www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization

Comment

Working...
                            X