No announcement yet.

what's up with exr, color adaptation etc = burnouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if you want the same result you have to apply the same color mapping in post. If this is what you want and you do not need to be linear then i wonder why bother tho. We have to for various reasons and it works perfectly fine when done right. It will NOT give the same results as with burning in ever. Not even with all settings adapted (don't know if you did. But it seems to me you only turned on "Don't affect colors" which essentially simply turns off any color mapping besides for sampling, and this will result in different results alltogether)

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

this ma be quite stupid question but
      what do you mean by working completely linear?
      using linear colormapping at 1 and burn value at 1 and not clamping anything (plus the typical max gamma setup in preferences) and then saving to 32bit depth???
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

In short as in:

-Setting your Max Gamma/LUT settings to 2.2
        -Setting your color mapping to linear multiply with dark 1.0 ,bright 1.0 and gamma 2.2
        -Turn on "Don't affect colors" and save via the VRay VFB
        (- Naturally correct incoming sRGB images using either your gamma LUT settings (won't work for procedurals) or any kind of color correct map)

This way the resulting image will be both rendered and saved linear. Everything else will simply not be linear. This is not an issue if it is what
        you are after. And suits many perfectly fine. But it's not linear.

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

right thanks for a quick explanation!!!!

ive started using BB workflow, using reinhard and building the scene up with darked colors and greyer whites and i get very few burned places...of course as bertrand saind, sometimes you just wont help it, it burns such as in real life when you take a picture...
          Martin
          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post
            what do you mean by working completely linear?
            if you follow thorsten's steps, and save to a hdr format, you simply don't want your output to have any gamma shift/correction applied to it, because it will be correctly interpreted as linear anyway.
            you simply let vray know that you're rendering to a file which will be linear space, that's why is important to set the gamma at 2,2. it forces vray to consider the rendering as gamma corrected, so that it won't undersample in areas that it would consider otherwise extremely dark and not worth spending but a few samples on. this is basically what "don't affect colours" is useful for, correct sampling but no actual colour mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by BBB3 View Post
              I wish I could help but I'm not quite sure why I'm not getting these burnouts. But I think Super Gnu hits the nail on the head. If you do everything (modelling, shading, test renders) using the same setup, i.e. with "don't affect colors adaptation only" and sRGB on, as I do, you will naturally light your scene and adjust your materials so that they don't produce burnouts. Then again, there are situations where burnouts are unavoidable and indeed correct, photographically speaking, especially if you rely on external sources alone to light a rather dark interior and you have pretty bright materials close to the light source. For instance, as I believe I wrote somewhere else earlier, my whites are actually closer to grey and the RGB values for other solid colours are pretty dark too, which may explain the lack of burnouts.
              As for the absent shadows, I'm pretty sure they are there, but the second image is a lot brighter overall (look at the bottom of the bookshelves), wich may make your shadows look fainter. If you output to 32 bits and lower the exposure in PS, I'm pretty sure they would show up again.
              I agree with this.
              for my blog and tutorials:
              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

sorry the stupid question maybe/surely for more of you again that question
                I mean Is it LWF as explained below?
                - Max preferences enabling gamma/lut and put 2,2 in the proper field, enabling affect colors and affect material editor and leaving to 1 imput bitmaps outputs bitmaps (considering the use of color corretcion map/value0,4545 or color correct/gamma value2,2, or vraycolor/specify/value2,2 depending respectively if maps or colors to correct);
                - color mapping type linear with its gamma to 2,2 burn/multiplier values both to 1.
                I save renders with exr or hdr extensions that are 32 bit formats. In post processing I use to lower/erase the exr/hdr added gamma with exposure command gamma parameter with 0,4545 (to avoid the double gamma applied)
                Is it correct? Thanks in advance to all will have patience to reply

Sorry my bad english
                Last edited by pengo; 19-09-2011, 04:10 AM.
                Workstation: Asus p9x79WS I7 3930K Noctua NH-D14@4200GHz SE2011 16GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Beast SSD 500Gb Samsung x2 SATA3 WD raid edition4 64MB GTX760 2GB DDR5 CoolerMaster 690III

https://www.facebook.com/essetreddi..../photos_albums

Comment

Working...
                X