Problem with displaced bricks, still!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with displaced bricks, still!

Every now and again, I try and up the ante with displaced bricks. I don't think I have ever quite managed it.

Ideally, I really want to get displacement working with BerconTile as we use this, in combination with Multitexture, to create our wall materials. I use a black and white version of the bercontile in the displacement (black joints and white bricks). 3D displacement takes ages, and is never completely clean. 2D displacement is much faster, but the diaplced geometry never aligns or tiles correctly correctly, even though the bercontile map is entirely procedural.

I have also now tried using bitmaps for both the diffuse and displacement slots, but I get very similar problems.

Could anyone please have a look at the attached scene and tell me how to solve this once and for all?

As I say, I really want to have BerconTile drive everything - the diffuse elements and the displacement. 'Baking out' large textures from Bercon is a slow and tedious process.

My scene is Max 2009, and we are using Vray 2.

http://www.blinkimage.com/downloads/...ement_test.zip
    Last edited by tricky; 28-09-2011, 08:39 AM.
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

I don't have BM installed so I just tested the bitmaps... First off, I don't think vray displacement supports real world UV map size, only standard UVs. That may be why nothing is lining up. See attached...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	brick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	844505
    Last edited by dlparisi; 28-09-2011, 09:06 AM.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
      First off, I don't think vray displacement supports real world UV map size, only standard UVs. That may be why nothing is lining up.
      I didn't realise that. Can Vlado confirm?

This could cause problems with BerconTile as it uses real world dimensions of the individual tiles/bricks.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

I think it's only the 2d displacement that doesn't work with real world map sizes so 3d might work just fine. Render times though usually just make me switch a particular material over to normal UV coordinates rather than try the 3d.
        www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Vlado confirmed it already...
          It is because 2d displacement does not work with the "Tiling" parameters of Bitmap textures, and the "Real world map size" uses these parameters. It is unfortunately not easy to fix. On the other hand, 3d displacement works fine.
          Here

Comment

I see. Thankyou for that link.

Good grief - we always use Real World mapping, and BerconTile pretty much demands it! Looks like we will have to create large panels of brick textures and displacement maps using Bercon, and then apply these panels as normal textures and use normal UV mapping. What a pain. I wonder if this can be solved?
            Kind Regards,
            Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
              I wonder if this can be solved?
              I will see if we can do something about it. I can't download the scene you posted though.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                I can't download the scene you posted though.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Odd - should I email it to you? I think its less than 2MB. What email should I use?
                Kind Regards,
                Richard Birket

Comment

You can send it to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The lack of real world size support in the VrayDisplacementMod is really annoying.
                    3d displacement is something that never worked for me. It's not precise for things like tiles, linear gaps, etc.
                    Marc Lorenz
                    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                    www.marclorenz.com
                    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

Working...
                    X