Max 2011 + Hair and Fur vray 2.0 + mr_prim + windows 7 = no hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max 2011 + Hair and Fur vray 2.0 + mr_prim + windows 7 = no hair

Working on a scene in Max 2011 that includes hair and fur elements. Rendering using mr_prim.

Locally:
    single processor i7-1366 4-core Windows 7 x64 machine, renders, no hair. used plug-in manager to change hair dlo from deferred to loaded, now the hair gets rendered.

Sending to render farm:
    dual processor xeon-1366 6-core Windows 7 x64 machines, won't render hair. Brought up the GUI for max on one of the render farm machines, tried to use plug-in manager to change hair dlo from deferred to loaded, receive warning that the .DRA file couldn't initialize, renders, no hair.

Found some posts here on the forums suggesting that permissions on the storage location of this file could be the problem. Read the Vray 2.0 release notes, found note about .DRA file being moved to "default Max temp directory". Spent a while figuring out what that was (guessing it's this one \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsmax\2011 - 64bit\enu\temp). Changed every permission in sight to ensure read / write access. Noted that even before I did this, the vrayhair.dra file was being updated at the time of each render. Renders, no hair.

Finally, searching again for other posts on the subject, found this one:
    http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...read.php?65539

Since these render farm machines have two six-core processors each with hyperthreading, is it logical to assume that I am encountering the "I hate 24-core machines" problem? Can anyone confirm that switching to Max 2012 fixes this problem? I'm setting up a test but was wondering if anyone had any insight.

It fixed it for me, but as always it would be best to test on your end.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Switching to max 2012 fixed that also for us, we were having that error on almost every machine.
      Our farm is composed by dual six-core macpro.
      KCTOO - Directors

Comment

Working...
      X