Vraytoon "artifacts" around renderable splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vraytoon "artifacts" around renderable splines

I have a square mass. I have then applied splines on that mass and modified them in 3ds to be renderable. When I apply Vraytoon only to the mass and tick hide inner edges, vraytoon adds noise or some kind of residual artifact with varying degrees of thickness throughout all of the renderable splines, even though the splines are not added to the vraytoon selection.
    Using VRay 2.0 with 3DS Max.

Here is the image with renderable splines no vraytoon:

Click image for larger version

Name:	splines no toon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	873925

Here is the image with renderable splines and vraytoon only added to the mass

Name:	splines and toon.jpg
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	873926

Here is the image with no renderable splines and vray toon only added to the mass

Name:	toon-no splines.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	873927

I would only like the outline around the mass.

my vraytoon settings are:

normal threshold:1
    overlap threshold: 1
    trace bias: 6/32"
    hide inner edges ticked

using pixels not world.

thanks in advance!

That looks like AA issues. What sampler are you using? For VRayToon i had quite good results using AdaptiveSubD. In any case you have to up your min samples to catch details that fine usually.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using dmc, however, my problem is not with the detail level, it's that for some reason, the vraytoon line work is showing up where I don't want it, namely, on the renderable splines. It's as if the vraytoon recognizes the splines and assumes they are part of the mass. I should mention I'm using a dwg that i exported from rhino. Thanks

Comment

I'm not quite sure what causes this right away; can you get me just that portion of the scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado,
          thank you for the reply, I've uploaded a sendspace zip file for you. It has dwg and max file. I have two layers: mass and renderable splines. I have the materials named respectively. In the vraytoon dialogue box I have two vraytoons added, one for a thick outline only, and one that is a thin line. My goal is to only add the vraytoon to the mass. Ideally, this would leave the splines out of the calculations.

On another note, in the vraytoon selection diaglogue box, it would be nice to be able to select an object by name, rather that having to pick objects individually. Maybe I'm missing something.
          Thank you

Comment

Working...
          X