Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired parameters on light rig crashes 3ds max/vray

Vlado,

I have a basic light rig that transitions from day to night sky. It uses a vray sun/sky, 2 dome lights, some color correction and mix maps, a night HDRI and some custom attributes wired to an attribute holder to make adjustments all in once place. Once I wire up all the parameters the light rig crashes Vray/3dsmax during the "preparing lights" phase at render. If I leave the parameters unwired and just make the changes to maps in the mat editor instead it seems fines. Also, If I replace the color correction nodes with color correct nodes ( plugin by cuneytozdas.com ) this seems to make things more stable as well. Unfortunately we can't use the color correct because it is a 3rd party plugin that our offsite rendering service doesn't support. Pretty please help asap!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2506168/SC_G...on_crashes.zip - file that was the default max color correction that crashes

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2506168/SC_G...ct_nocrash.zip - file that uses color correct node ( plugin by cuneytozdas.com ) that seems to be more stable.

Pretty please help asap!
    Attached Files

Thanks for the files; looking into this now.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The first link doesn't seem to work; can you fix it?

Best regards,
      Vlado

Comment

Sorry its still uploading should be done in 35 minutes

Comment

Its uploaded. Let me know when you get a chance to look at it. Thanks.

Comment

We looked at the file; unfortunately this seems to be a problem with the way the ColorCorrection texture is coded. If you look at the source code for this in the 3ds Max SDK, you will see that the values for the different parameters are taken from the parameter block of the texture while it is being called by the renderer. This is a) very slow (I see now why people complain about that ) and b) not thread-safe. In this particular case, calling the parameter block leads to calling the wire controllers which are not coded to operate in a multithreaded way.

The same crash also occurs with the scanline renderer. We could probably fix the texture as its source comes with the 3ds Max SDK (or you can fix this on your end), but you'll have to replace the mtl.dlt file. Or you could code your own texture that does the same thing in a more safe way. Or we can code such a texture for you, but it will take a while.

Either way, it's probably a good idea to report this to Autodesk.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Last edited by vlado; 23-02-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

"We could probably fix the texture as its source comes with the 3ds Max SDK" How long would this take you? Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to fix or write our own texture. :P

Is this the correct autodesk bug report submission form? http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9241177

Comment

It would a couple of days... let me know if you want to go that way.

It seems this is the correct link, yes.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

If you could do that, that would be great! Very much appreciated.

Comment

Hi, R_Cyph,
                    we have did a fix, plese send me an e-mail to: alexander@chaosgroup.com so I could send it back to you.

Best regards,
                    Aleksandar
                    Alexander Kazandzhiev
                    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
                    X