Clear All

• increasing shadows color from transparent colored material

Click image for larger version

Name:	color_plastic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	488.9 KB
ID:	874192

Hey guys,

i have these transparent colored material (with diffuse and fog color), and they cast colored shadows on the ground as you can see on the attached image.

I want the color on the ground to be more apparent..more intense. I've tried turning caustics on which did a really great job but for the kind of scenes we do here I cant seem to make it work efficiently.

Playing with the fog color parameters doesn't really help.

I'm out of ideas (and time!!) so if someone know of another way for this it would be really appreciated.

Thx a lot!

Jay.

Post? Alternatively you can do a separate shadow pass with coloured shadows and fake it I suppose.

/b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Hi,

thx for your answer.

Sadly post isn't an option for our daily production. :/

Cant believe the only way to have nicer color from transparent object is caustics!!!

Comment

I wouldn't say that it's the only way - there are just a lot of variables: material, light type and brightness, GI settings, gamma setings, material you are projecting it on to, ambient and/or other lights etc. You have a lot of ambient in that image, so that will tend to wash out your coloured shadows no matter how you produce them.
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Colored Light with the unwanted objects excepted?

Comment

Yes that particular screenshot was just to show the color effect I'm talking about so people understand.

But if your final scene is ok with good lighting then how the hell to ''boost'' these shadows color?

Its a pretty simple issue and cant seem to find a way for it.

Thx

Jay.

Comment

WXYZ: Hi

that's not an option either since the color need to come from the actual geometry! We have many of these in a scene so putting many colored lights that match the angle of the sun would be tedious and we dont have time to set this at every single projects.

Thx anyway tough.

Jay.

Comment

That's kinda my point: I don't think the net effect really is "simple", unless you are using a fake coloured shadow. Consider the parallel in reality - it wouldn't be simple to accomplish either, it would depend on the sort of conditions I mentioned.

Why not just do a light with coloured shadows as a pass or as wxyz suggested? I think those *are* the simple solutions
                b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Yes i understand what you say Simm, but yeah its just not viable with the way things are setup here, I've already added some steps to our tight workflow here so doing light pass and comp after is just out of the questions. Yep..

Needs to be straight out of max as much as possible and not add too much complexity to the workflow, which has already many steps...

Its challenging.

Thats why I search for a way to fix this with a setting, (that does'nt seem to exist! lol) so yeah i guess they will need to stay the way they are. At least for now...

Thx.

Jay.

Comment

Have you tried with VrayOverrideMtl - Shadow Mtl ?
                    Could you please send this example to vray@chaosgroup.com - and we will see what we can do for you!
                    Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 27-04-2012, 05:51 AM.
                    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
                      Have you tried with VrayOverrideMtl - Shadow Mtl ?
                      Could you please send this example to vray@chaosgroup.com - and we will try to create this effect for you!
                      yes, this is my first thought....fake with VrayOverrideMtl !
                      I will try on that way if you only want to boost the color of your shadows
                      Anyway, I'm agree with Brett... a lot of variables must be taken into account
                      (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Working...
                      X