Vray camera shutter speed affecting render time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray camera shutter speed affecting render time

Our office has recently started using the Vray Physical Camera & have noticed that our interior scenes are rendering a lot slower (2-3 times slower) when using exposure. I have attached 2 print screens showing the difference.

We are using Max Design 2012
    64bit Windows 7
    V-Ray 2.20.03

The only two items in the scene are a physical camera & the background image.
    I have also turned off GI
    The only change between renders is the shutter speed (render times are also effected by changing the f-number & film speed (ISO))

Is there something we need to adjust to speed up the renderings when exposing for interior scenes?

Thanks,
    Bowen Studios Team.
    Attached Files

Vlado or someone can clarify for sure, but overexposed shots - like your first example - will generally render a lot slower. I think it is mainly due to anti-aliasing requirements for excessive brightness variations between pixels. You can probably verify by turning exposure control right off and comparing the render time to your overexposed version - my guess is that they will be much the same, and both will be longer than a correctly exposed scene where the brightness ranges are much smaller in general.

/b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

see this thread
      http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...read.php?67419

OakCorp Japan - Yuji Yamauchi
      oakcorp.net
      v-ray.jp

Comment

Thanks for the link - I missed that thread. Looks *hugely* useful. Still - decent exposure control is still an important part of this I think.

b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
        e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Thank you, that is helpful.

So, it looks like if we set the exposure for a lot of contrast, it will just take longer to render. I've tried checking "Don't effect colors", but that doesn't adjust for exposure, only gamma correction. I will test the different color mapping settings a little more.

Thanks again.

Jacob
          Bowen Studios

Comment

Working...
          X