No announcement yet.

Network rendering - new 32 core nodes issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I managed to get it to render faster, but it required quite a few changes that could also affect the irradiance map and the light cache, so I need to test this very carefully.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thanks for the update.

V Miller

Comment

I am looking at getting 2 x dual e5-2650 render nodes and was wondering how everyone else is getting on with them.
        ie. Are all the issues sorted out, would e5 owners recommend them, or are you still having render issues.
        There is a bit of money involved so would like to know before taking the plunge.
        Alternatively could go back to the i7?

Comment

Hello anyone got any answers?

"I am looking at getting 2 x dual e5-2650 render nodes and was wondering how everyone else is getting on with them.
          ie. Are all the issues sorted out, would e5 owners recommend them, or are you still having render issues.
          There is a bit of money involved so would like to know before taking the plunge.
          Alternatively could go back to the i7?"

Comment

Originally posted by bob-cat View Post
            Hello anyone got any answers?

"I am looking at getting 2 x dual e5-2650 render nodes and was wondering how everyone else is getting on with them.
            Alternatively could go back to the i7?"
            I haven't worked with this xeon model you describe, but I can say that i7 are really good and perform as well as xeon, but they are also better at single threaded operations, so running things like sims or whatever is much faster on i7, not to mention that they are much cheaper.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

We are using the e5-2680 xeons and we got a big speed boost when using the nightly builds.
              But they render the most effective when rendering 2 or more frames at the same time. When we render 4 frames at the same time they perform as they should, but you need 4 times the ram.
              Buying some i7 computers can be cheaper for the same amount of render power. But if you don't have a lot of space and you have to buy extra software licenses for each render machine then the xeons can be the cheaper solution.

Comment

Also, very important note: KEEP THE BITMAP PAGER DISABLED! Remember that you need to save and reload the scene for changes to the bitmap pager setting to take effect.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

I forgot to mention that our experience is only with vray for maya and not with vray for max.
                  But we batch render everything with the standalone.
                  The "bitmap pager" is something that you can only find in the max version of vray?

Comment

Originally posted by Hos View Post
                    The "bitmap pager" is something that you can only find in the max version of vray?
                    Yes, it's a 3ds Max thing. I mentioned it since the topic is in the 3ds Max forum

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

sooo just curious how much benefit these days does bitmap pager have? I mean really, every project I had we turned it off...any ideas?
                      Dmitry Vinnik
                      Silhouette Images Inc.
                      ShowReel:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                      https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                        sooo just curious how much benefit these days does bitmap pager have? I mean really, every project I had we turned it off...any ideas?
                        I don't know, to be honest; I haven't made any specific benchmarks in limited memory conditions. On the other hand, VRayHDRI in 3ds Max supports tiled OpenEXR textures, so that makes the bitmap pager even less relevant.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by chrisjacks21 View Post
                          anybody else using the E5-2680 chip?
                          Hello,
                          I've built a dual Xeon 2680 too here, with 64Gb ram...
                          On an Asus Z9PE-D8WS mobo...
                          I have no issues at all, and when 980x or 3930 i7s are rendering a frame within 11-16 minutes, the dual 2680 is about 5 minutes, so a lot faster...

I've tried with backburner and VrayDR...

Maybe you have a problem with mobo BIOS ?
                          or maybe your scene is extreme in ram comsuption ? (sorry for my english)

don't forget 2 CPUs needs twice ram amount...

regards.
                          dream it !
                          model it !
                          love it !

Comment

Working...
                          X