Ptex losing Color Information from Mudbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ptex losing Color Information from Mudbox

I've run into a strange issue. Started a Character in Mudbox and the colors from my PTex file (Diffuse) seems to not correctly assign the colors in 3D Max VRay. Their position is correct, but the colors are off. No black colors are showing up, or Red. It all just seems different. Here is an example:

Mudbox Screen

Vray In Max 2013

As you can see the PTex works fine in Mudbox. But the texture colors get destroyed in 3d Max.

Here are the PTex settings Im using. Im also using Max's Gamma 2.2:

PTex Vray Material

As you can see the Displacement is working. My Character in Max is only 15k polyes (same as Level 0 from Mudbox) You can see the displacement detail. Im using VrayDisplacementMod set to SubD. The Normal Map assigned to my material bump works as well. Both Normal Map and Displacement Map are PTex files.

The only problem is the colors aren't correct. I did try 'reverse order' but that didn't help.

Gamma settings aren't the issue because I've tested with and without it. Also tried different lighting. What do you recommend to fix this issue? I want to solve this before getting into too much detail. Just in case I need to start over.

Thanks!!

can you put the ptex color texture into vray light material and render it? make sure your gamma settings are correct.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

have you merged all your paint layers in mudbox and exported the ptex file..?
      maybe you have only exported one layer..?

Comment

If you reimport the ptex in Mudbox, does it look correct?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado,

Reimporting the Ptex file back into Mudbox as a paint layer is 100% accurate and looks the way it should. (On a side note, it was an honor to finally meet you in Los Angeles for Siggraph!)

FSGFX,

I had merged all of the layers into a single layer prior to exporting it for 3DMax just to rule out the layers as an issue. So the layers isn't the issue.

Morbid,

Here is the test render you request. The same PTex file is linked into a VRayLightMaterial with the Light Material set to its default values. As you can see, a lot of color information is not displaying. In the meantime I'll try additional test. Let me know if you need any other information!

Comment

Then it might be best to send the relevant files to us at vray@chaosgroup.com so that our support guys can take a look.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

vlado,

Email sent to vray@chaosgroup.com per your request. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
                To achieve correct result of your PTEX texture in V-Ray you have to set Alpha channel to "3".
                It looks like for this Mudbox scene, Ptx file is exported with alpha on 3rd channel.
                You can see an example screen below:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	846018

Please try these settings in your environment.
                Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you! This has solved my issues.
                  Last edited by Teriander; 04-09-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X