Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed render error, with workaround

Hi,

I have encountered an error with V-ray for a number of versions, connected with distributed rendering. I will try to describe the symptoms. Where I talk about a file it is a generic file, but I have examples if required (although there are often large amounts of x-refs and assets connected with the files).

I have a scene with multiple v-ray cameras in with multiple lights, each for a respective camera. When set up, the file will render perfectly fine, using a number of other computers to distribute the rendering by buckets. The cameras in the file will usually render fine for a while, changing which camera and which corresponding light are active, and rendering different sized output from each. Then at some point (not yet identified as connected to any particular event) I'll notice that the distributed computers will fail before starting to render. They will start loading the file, but then crash out, continually until the host has completed the render, or has been cancelled.

I have managed to find a very simple workaround, although it is a bizarre way to solve the problem, and apparently has no logical explanation.

To solve the problem simply duplicate the camera as an instance, no need to change any settings, and render from the new camera. Everything will work fine.

I would like to know if the problem has occurred anywhere else, if there is an explanation as to why the "fix" works, and if there is the possibility of a software fix to solve the problem.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Kind regards,

Bill Sands

Bill,
    I have had similar issues and duplicating the cameras fixed the problem every time.
    At the time it happens I am always too busy to send a bug report to Chaos but I will definately do a report next time seeing as other users are affected.
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Chris, glad someone else has the problem too.

How do you do an official bug report? I've heard mention of this before, but not really understood how to do it.
      Last edited by LQ2; 27-09-2012, 03:57 AM. Reason: use real name

Comment

Someone should pick it up here but you can write to vray@chaosgroup.com and supply them with a description and supplimentry files.
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Is this something that the V-Ray team are aware of... Vlado? Is there likely to be an official fix?
          It's a bit annoying to have two of every camera that you want to distribute render in a scene.

It's worth noting that the VRay log does show an error, something like "FOV too small" (sorry I don't have the exact message to hand at the moment), but instancing the camera without changing anything will fix it and allow correct rendering.

Hope for the best
          Last edited by LQ2; 04-10-2012, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Hello LQ2 and jacksc02

We haven't got such an issue in our environment - is it possible to send us a problematic scene with step by step instruction how to reproduce the issue , and how to fix it.
            You can send it to vray@chaosgroup.com - if the scene is larger we can provide you our FTP server.

Thanks in advance.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
            X