Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 dr not working.. what am i forgetting..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 dr not working.. what am i forgetting..?

ive just set up 2013 and vray on my 2 machines. had 2012 and vray working like a charm. had initial issues with 2012, but these turned out to be issues with windows firewall and i resolved them manually.

now ive got 2013 on there, the (2013) spawner starts, i can "resolve" the server in max, it says "scene transferred, starting render" then jumps to "server is not responding" before repeating again and again until the render finishes.

looking at the slave, it doesnt seem to do anything apart from restarting max occasionally... im not sure if this is being triggered by max trying to start rendering...

i checked max 2013 is ok with the firewall, and even manually added the vrayspawner app, but no luck.. i just disabled the firewall entirely and its still not working..

i have a feeling im missing something obvious, but i need someone else to give me that "d'oh" moment.

any suggestions?

ok you can delete this thread if you want.. it -was- the firewall.. but the one on my main machine, not the slave.. ... .. D'OH.

Comment

ok actually im still a bit in the dark. disabling the firewall on my workstation fixed it, but.. i cant see anything wrong in the settings.. for various reasons i wont go into, my network connecting the machines is a "public/unknown" network, and as a result i often have to manually allow software that would be fine on a private network.

however beyond allowing 3dsmax access on a public network, which ive done, and allowing the spawner app access (ive done that on both machines) im at a loss what else to allow / enable to get it working.... like i say, 2012 was fine, and 2013 works if i have both firewalls disasbled. not ideal.

Comment

right.. stranger and stranger.. although DR started working when i disabled the firewall, its actually not picking up any of the maps.. these are on a shared mapped drive, and 2012 had no problems finding these maps.

Comment

did you run Back Burner first?
          Originally posted by super gnu View Post
          right.. stranger and stranger.. although DR started working when i disabled the firewall, its actually not picking up any of the maps.. these are on a shared mapped drive, and 2012 had no problems finding these maps.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Did you tried to start a new Backburner job before DR?

edit: Ops... same as before.. sorry.
            M.
            Workstation Core i7 6900 - 32GB RAM - GeF970
            Dual Xeon E5-2630 - 32GB RAM

Comment

Are you on a domain? Did your monkey of an IT admin strip your user of your privileges without telling you, and when asked specifically about it, deny that he has done anything?
              Completely resetting firewall and network settings can also help, so that you get the automatic firewall questions per process, where you manually allow them through. This one seems completely illogical, but as windows firewall obviously is coded through black magic and witchcraft, you might be surprised.
              Signing out,
              Christian

Comment

well thanks for all the tips guys, i was pretty sure as soon as Glorybound mentioned the backburner thing, that that was it. however, ive now run a backburner job on 2013, and failed sending to second machine. , and also, 2012 jobs fail to my second machine as well.

i tried resetting the firewall on both machines as trixian suggested ( unfortunately im my own monkey of an IT admin) but that seemed to stop DR working at all, on either version of max.. now im basically stuck with nothing working.

only way i can get it all to start working is to disable the firewall on my main workstation.

really driving me nuts.

what should be enabled in the firewall that isnt? ive got every permutation of max and backburner (manager monitor and server) enabled for both public and private networks.. (remember my network is a "public" one... dont ask why...)

this was all working fine until i installed vray on my 2013 installation on my main machine, and put 2013 and vray on my second machine.

Comment

If this problem showed up with Vray 2013, can it be related to my issue perhaps?
                  http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...r-some-reason)

Only difference is that you actually do get things working by disabling firewalls. I use no firewalls and it still acts weird.
                  Last edited by Swahn_Kung; 30-10-2012, 08:37 AM.

Comment

ok so im really having a bit of a nightmare since trying to move to 2013 for a job.

as mentioned above, all was fine in 2012, i even had 2013 installed on my main machine, but not with vray, and not on my rendernode.

since setting it up on the node, and putting vray on im having NO end of trouble.

ive tried running a backburner job from 2013 (and from 2012) but it doenst help. until yesterday i could get 2012 dr working again by disabling my firewall (which i didnt need to do before) but 2013 refused to see mapped drives so even though dr worked, it was useless.

i tried again today, running the "disable ipv6" patch from microsoft. dr still wouldnt see mapped drives from 2013 so in disgust i went back to 2012. now 2012 cant see any of the mapped textures either!!!!!!

what the heck is going on?!

im in the middle of a high pressure job and im having real headaches.

Comment

Did you check your map paths?? - I had something similar when moving to 2013 and opening 2012 project that had UNC paths (\\machinename\work\textures etc) had all reverted to relative (..\..\work\textures etc)
                      I don't mapped drives or folders...
                      Simon

.... . .-.. .--. .-.-.- .--. .-.. . .- ... . ... . -. -.. -.-. .... --- -.-. --- .-.. .- - .
                      I need a new signature
                      --
                      Max2017.1 | Vray 3.70.01| win11
                      ASUS Z790PLUS | i9 13900K | 64Gb RAM | Geforce GTX4070Ti

Comment

yep all paths are correct.. or rather, same as they were before, when they were working fine. i have a very simple setup.. the e: drive on my main machine is mapped as e: on my rendernode. works flawlessly until now and still works fine in every other piece of software.

Comment

Hello super gnu,

Are you still have a trouble with this ?
                          We would like to do a remote session and to do some tests on your machine.
                          Could you please write to vray@chaosgroup.com about this issue, so we can organize remote session.

Thank you in advance.
                          Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                          Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

thanks a lot Svetlozar. im just in the middle of a job at the moment, and having switched my firewalls on, then off again, ive managed to get 2012 to see the maps on the shared drive. so i have one combination working. until i finish this job i dont even want to look at it funny. unless it magically sorts itself out, ill be in touch in about a month!

Comment

Don't hesitate to ask us if you have this issue again.
                              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                              X