Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess vert. jumping

Hi there,

I'm trying to match a cam with a reference image in the viewport, and I need to use the guess vertical.
    Unfortunately, the guess vertical is jumping out every time I try to move either the camera or the target.
    I was wondering if it was possible to fix this so the guess vertical would be guessed continually, or set a checkbox to activate that option. (I understand we can use the guess as a start and then tweak it .)

Thanks

Stan
    Last edited by 3LP; 04-02-2013, 02:42 AM.
    3LP Team

yes I have same problem, I usually just keep on "geussing" everytime I move the cam. But yes a tick to "continuously geuss" can be nice
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

+1 agreed it would be quite useful, "yes tick" also nice...

Comment

Hi all,

Will add this request to our "to do" list.
        Thanks for the tip.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I'm positively perplexed. What is this Guess vertical jumping thing? I do quite a few cam match projects. Have I missed something?

Edit:
          Oh. those buttons. Never really understood what they were there for. Is there any information on how to utilize this when matching through max's cam match utility etc?
          Last edited by trixian; 06-02-2013, 02:35 AM.
          Signing out,
          Christian

Comment

hi Christian,

Oh. those buttons. Never really understood what they were there for.
            A shift lens camera is a lens that keeps the verticals vertical in a photo. It's mostly used for architectural photographies to keep building lines vertical while shooting from ground level.
            You can check the examples in our help spot:
            http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/200R...icalcamera.htm (Example 5)

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
              I was wondering if it was possible to fix this so the guess vertical would be guessed continually, or set a checkbox to activate that option. (I understand we can use the guess as a start and then tweak it .)
              There is actually a hidden option for this; unfortunately it messes up the perspective viewport, so it's not much of a use I guess we can try to fix it.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Can you not straighten the verticals of your base image before you bring it into max for matching?
                ptlens is essential. if you also add black space to the top or bottom so the horizon runs straight & perfectly through the center it makes matching cameras super easy. you only have the x/y to deal with then.
                Last edited by Neilg; 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I always match cameras to images that have not been corrected, and usually try to undistort them in Photoshop first, though this can get a bit arbitrary some times. Latest raw import with lens correction (with automatic lens type detection) in Photoshop CS6 is quite good now.
                  Not too long ago I actually wasted a day or two trying to match what seemed like unaltered photographs, and could not get anything usable. Turned out the photographer had been playing ever so slightly with straightening and distortion before handing them off. It also turned out he had colour corrected the images really badly, and after getting the raw files, matching worked, and the real colours were a lot better.
                  As a side question, what is the most common tool you guys use to match cameras? I use max's cam match tool 99% of the time, but would like to know if there is anything better. Once or twice I have been able to use Sketchups photo-match tool, and like the simplicity, but find it's really hard to use if you try to match more than one camera per scene file if the cameras are looking at different parts of the scene.
                  (This is for stills obviously).
                  Signing out,
                  Christian

Comment

New option for automatic guess vertical shift is implemented for the internal builds, so it will be available in the next V-Ray release.

Comment

Working...
                    X