Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zdepth / normals not respecting opacity maps on cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zdepth / normals not respecting opacity maps on cards?

Heya Folks,

Just getting a few issues with depth channels and normal channels on a render with lots of opacity mapped cards - I see that the maya folks have some issues here too, is there anything I can do to get this to behave?

Cheers!

John

As far as I know, Z-depth does not work with transparency, including opacity mapped planes.

The only way I know to get this working is to use a vray Displacement modifier & use clipping [water level] to create real geometry
    Hope this helps

Comment

Cheers, I'll try that so. Much appreciated.

Comment

Sorry about my previous post....I was a bit tired & wrote before I thought about it enough

Yes it can work as I have done this with alpha mapped leaves on trees.

Remember though that your alpha map should be set to NO filtering and your render should be done with fixed anti-alias set at [1]

Comment

Hmm - so a second pass needed then. Good to know though, I'll do a simple test here. Vlado mentioned in another thread that they've made progress on it for regular maps too.

Comment

Just select "Affect channels: All channels" and it will work. It's in the Refraction part of the shader, a dropdown menu.

Comment

Done but it doesn't work - if you've got overlapping cards then it gets confused :/

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                Done but it doesn't work - if you've got overlapping cards then it gets confused :/
                Weird, I tried it with a couple of boxes, which were overlapping, and I'm pretty sure it worked (not gonna swear on it though =). Perhaps a ray depth limit?

Comment

It might well be - I'll have another play around with it again and see can I get anything to behave. Cheers for offering another perspective on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X