No announcement yet.

How does VrayMTL translucency work...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tashko, the refraction glossiness problem is still there with 3.10.02.

I have added a scene file here. The only difference between the two figures is the one on the right has a lighter refraction color and translucency turned off. Otherwise this file is the same as the one posted by Svetlozar earlier on this thread.

translucency01 - file from Vray forum - rod added - refract gloss problem.zip

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      There are overlapping triangles in the scene (there is a plane that is exactly aligned to a VRayLight). Not sure why Svetlozar set the scene up this way; it's best to avoid overlapping faces.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      That plane was used as a reference geometry in Maya since Lights are not transferable and I wanted to have identical scene on both platforms Max and Maya.
      It seems I have forgotten to remove it - I'll fix that and I'll update the attached scene.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by davision View Post
        Tashko, the refraction glossiness problem is still there with 3.10.02.

I have added a scene file here. The only difference between the two figures is the one on the right has a lighter refraction color and translucency turned off. Otherwise this file is the same as the one posted by Svetlozar earlier on this thread.

[ATTACH]22168[/ATTACH]
        Hi,
        Thank you for the file. It looks like a bug to me, but I have to discuss it first with our developers before sending a bug report.
        The refraction IOR is somehow changed when the Glossy value is below 1 and Translucency is set to Hard model. For the other two models (soft and Hybrid) it works different.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

it would be great to have Svetlozar's explanation of translucency added to the chaosgroup help site, would that be possible?

(partly so i dont have to search for this thread every time i get stuck with translucency!)
          www.peterguthrie.net
          www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
          www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
            it would be great to have Svetlozar's explanation of translucency added to the chaosgroup help site, would that be possible?

(partly so i dont have to search for this thread every time i get stuck with translucency!)
            I think this is possible. Let me check first and I will get back to you later.

Update: Yes, we'll do it.
            Last edited by tashko.zashev; 06-02-2015, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post

It's sort of reassuring that even the legends of this industry get stuck once in a while.... keep up the amazing work.

Comment

me?? I'm on this forum every 5 minutes trying to remember how to do stuff!
                www.peterguthrie.net
                www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Quick question... how does the Light Multiplier work? I've had it everywhere from 0 to 100000 and nothing seems to change. Just curious.

Thanks,

-Neal
                  ---------
                  Jim Lammers
                  Trinity Animation, Inc.
                  www.trinity3d.com

Comment

Works as expected on the sample scenes attached into my previous posts:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	kxwyUVW.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	855390Click image for larger version

Name:	KRoUOdT.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	855391

Would it be possible to send us the scene for investigation?

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                      Also please hold in mind to use only gray scaled colors for Reflection and Fog colors - otherwise the result won't be expected.
                      I guess you meant: "Refraction and Fog Colors"...

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
                      Little Antman
                      See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
                      Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Originally posted by jstrob View Post
                        I guess you meant: "Refraction and Fog Colors"...
                        Yes, exactly.

Comment

Hi Svetlozar,

Thanks for the explanation , my reply arrives late.
                          Will you be able to easily reproduce the same conditions under the LWF? I see you're not using gamma correction and the sRGB button.
                          Personally I find easier to see translucency effects / light falloffs in a gamma 1 environment as you seems to be working.
                          The challenge comes from the fact that you're in a very high contrast situation that makes translucency easy to see. Black environment, 1 single light, gamma 1 and a refraction value of just 10 out of 256.
                          Will the effect be so obvious in a normal environment with linear workflow and GI bouncing around the subject as if it was in a lit room?

Regards,

Giacomo.
                          Last edited by ARTECONI-CGI; 21-05-2016, 05:04 AM.

Comment

If you could provide a sample scene with the described setup I may try to make it work.

Comment

This would be a good thread to have pinned. Great info Svetlozar!

Comment

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
                                This would be a good thread to have pinned. Great info Svetlozar!
                                Thanks for the nice words

Comment

Working...
                                X