Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vraydisplacement Mod issues

Hi,

So I finally got our account registered and can now post in the main forums...so hello everybody!

So...I got some issues with the vraydisplacement modifier.
    I´m making heavy use of it with procedural displacement for our current project, since I find the detail much better than with the standard displacement modifier.
    But on some projects I´m getting trouble with vray taking ages to unload geometry or finishing a frame (getting stuck on lust bucket). I had unloading times / stuck-on-last-bucket-times of up to 2 (!) hours on some frames, which is unacceptable, but weird, since rendering took actually only 13 minutes.
    So I´m not sure what the problem is, my best guess would be that it has to do with either the view dependet checkbox or the procedural maps.

Our system specs in the farm: Mostly I7 and 32 gb of Ram.
    I already set the dynamic memory limit to 16 gb and played around with bucket size (from 16 to 64), put a turbosmooth with 3 Iterations below Vraydisplacement modifier, changed edge length up to 8 or even 16 and lower maximum subdivision to 8 or even 4...

Any suggestions on what else could cause the problems or how to optimize settings?
    I think I even ruled out Material issues by using an override material (I notices some severe slowdowns with overbright reflections/specular highlights in the past).

I already read some place about the memory unloading process beeing complicated to optimize, but 2 hours really seems unfair to me...:P

If i find the time I could upload a file with the issue for you to look at, but since I´m new here: How do I do that? How large can attachments be?

Hi,

It will be best if we can test your scene in our environment and we will try to find the reason for this issue.
    We can supply our FTP server in case that your scene is confidential, just send us an email to support@chaosgroup.com (add this thread as a note)

However, I have few questions.
    Do you use DR to render this scene?
    What are the 3DS Max and V-Ray version that you are using ?
    What setting do you use for "Default geometry"? If it's the default "Auto", please make a test with the "Dynamic" one.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I have similar problems with an exterior (quite complex) scene and vraydisplacement mod applied on a really simply poly-mesh

Tried dynamic ... no luck!
      DR on i7 24GB + 1 slave 2xXeon E5 (32GB) - Max 2013 (vray 2.40.04)
      Workstation Core i7 6900 - 32GB RAM - GeF970
      Dual Xeon E5-2630 - 32GB RAM

Comment

Try "pre-subdividing" the mesh with either a quadify or turbosmooth modifier. I've found this can often help a lot to speed things up.
        Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by TutanMark View Post
          I have similar problems with an exterior (quite complex) scene and vraydisplacement mod applied on a really simply poly-mesh

Tried dynamic ... no luck!
          DR on i7 24GB + 1 slave 2xXeon E5 (32GB) - Max 2013 (vray 2.40.04)
          Does it hangs during the GI calculations or at the render time in your scene?
          Could you try to isolate the displacement geometry and make a test render?

Probably it will be best if we can see your scene and make some further investigations on it.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, been very busy.
            Unfortunately too busy to remember which scenes gave me the displacement trouble...so i´ll have to get back to this thread when the problem appears the next time.

Comment

Working...
            X