Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive sampler control...

Hi,

i am quite puzzled by the new progressive sampler. While it is nice to see entire image refine progressively, it lacks the main benefit of progressive path tracing, which is simplicity, so i do not understand few things.

- Why Global DMC rollout remains there after i set sampler type to progressive?

- Does that mean Global DMC setting still control the progressive sampler?

- If yes, am i seriously tweaking two different noise thresholds?

- Does adaptive amount and min. samples affect convergence of progressive sampler?

- Do glossy subdivs in materials and subdivs in lights affect convergence of progressive sampler?

I looked at updated help website, but i could not find anything that would answer these very important questions...

Think of the progressive sampler as exactly the same as the Adaptive DMC one, but instead of buckets, it refines the entire image at once. The answers to your questions are exactly the same as they would be if you used Adaptive DMC with respective settings.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Then why are there two noise thresholds? :O

Comment

For the same reason that there are two noise thresholds when using Adaptive DMC...

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Gooooood ]:- )>

No improvements in simplicity and ergonomics at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rNb1BAXxU

Comment

<shrug> It is all about choices; you can choose to make it as complicated or as simple as you like. For example, I don't think I've ever touched the global DMC settings. They are there for people that want to squeeze every second of render time from their images, but that doesn't mean you have to do anything with them.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Working...
            X