Vray Toon forgetting include/exclude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Toon forgetting include/exclude

I'm using the Vray 2.45 Nightly build from Jan 23, 2014.

I'm having problems with the Vray Toon effect - mainly - the include/exclude list keeps dropping objects/refreshing.
    it's extremely annoying!!

This is basic setup i'm trying to do:
    Render a semi realistic toon style outdoor enviornment with buildings and grass. Half the objects need the Toon, the other half dont.

This is the list of issues i'm facing:
    -I have a geometry hill shape with the 3ds max hair and fur modifier applied (so the grass can blow in the wind). I try to add this object to the EXCLUDE list (so VrayToon will not appear in every blade of grass!) This doesn't seem to work!
    -There are 42 objects i'm trying to add to the 'exclude' list. There is no 'select by list' option, so I have to click 'add' for each one!
    -21 objects are sorted into a layer - 'Layer A'. 21 objects are on 'Layer B'. I use State sets to either Show and Render layer A only, OR show and render Layer B only. It seems when I switch layer A or B off with state sets, Vray toon will loose all the objects from the exclude list that have been hidden!

These are the issues i'm facing. I can forward a scene file if required!

Thanks for reading,

Michael Wentworth-Bell
    Michael Wentworth-Bell
    Motion Graphics Artist
    Melbourne, Australia

My site - Digital Lode

There is no need to add the objects one by one; click on the Add button and then on the "Select by Name" button in the 3ds Max toolbar. You can select multiple objects from there.

Not sure about the other issues, will try to reproduce them here.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Michael, try unchecking the 'active' box of the VRayToon before swapping your state sets. Then re-checking before you render.
      Dan Brew

Comment

Hi Daniel!

Thanks a bunch for the tip! I think it's time to simplify my state sets..

I have actually been using state sets to record the 'active/inactive' state of the vrayToon as well haha! That may be what's causing some of the problems.

I use 2-3 copies of vrayToon in some scenes (with different settings on each one) and use state sets to for example: turn 1 of the vrayToons on and the other 2 off.
        it seems to work except for random cases when the include/exclude list drops some/all of the objects. the main 'Environment' window never updates while state sets are turning the atmospheric effects on/off so i'm thinking it might be best to just keep the environment window closed while switching between states, maybe that has something to do with it too.
        Michael Wentworth-Bell
        Motion Graphics Artist
        Melbourne, Australia

My site - Digital Lode

Comment

I had a similar problem when using VRayToon and render presets.
          http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...e-Been-Deleted
          If I have the VRayToon active when I load a render preset then the include/exclude list gets broken. My workaround was to keep the Toon effect inactive and use a pre-render script to switch it on at render time.
          Dan Brew

Comment

Thanks again Dan,

Wasn't aware of that problem either. The workaround is a great idea!

Cheers!
            Michael Wentworth-Bell
            Motion Graphics Artist
            Melbourne, Australia

My site - Digital Lode

Comment

Working...
            X