VRMat Material Editor VERY Slow or Crashed 3DS max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRMat Material Editor VERY Slow or Crashed 3DS max

Every time I try to work with a VRMat material and open the material editor, the editor will open, but then it will take a long time for me to be able to make any changes, or manipulate the material, or more often, it crashes 3DS Max program.

Also, the material preview and map previews don't work.
    Last edited by BIALOSKY_PARTNERS; 18-03-2014, 10:17 PM.

Hello,
    it would be good to have the VRMat-Editor as a separate program that can be run independently from 3dsmax.
    So you could, without starting 3dsmax, to build a material library or edit only a single material.
    Last edited by algato; 18-03-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BIALOSKY_PARTNERS View Post
      Every time I try to work with a VRMat material and open the material editor, the editor will open, but then it will take a long time for me to be able to make any changes, or manipulate the material, or more often, it crashes 3DS Max program.

Also, the material preview and map previews don't work.
      Which V-Ray version and 3ds Max versions are you using?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by algato View Post
        Hello,
        it would be good to have the VRMat-Editor as a separate program that can be run independently from 3dsmax.
        So you could, without starting 3dsmax, to build a material library or edit only a single material.
        We do, in fact, have it as a separate program. Will see if I can upload it somewhere.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          We do, in fact, have it as a separate program. Will see if I can upload it somewhere.
          that would be very useful.
          Thank you.

Kind regards
          Alex

Comment

Vlado,

I too experience a slow down of the compact material editor with Vray 3.0 when I open it up and the materials of a scene are loaded, in comparison to vray 2.4. Even with a fresh scene when there are no materials and default the VrayMaterials are being loaded, it's a lot slower then before. MAX version 2013 x64.

PC specs:

- SSD HD 840 PRO
            - 64 MB RAM
            - Dual Intel Xeon E5 2695 V2
            - Quadro K4000
            Last edited by Vizioen; 29-04-2014, 01:13 PM.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I think this is a different issue than the original one from the start of the thread (which concerned the V-Ray material editor).

In any case, there is no change in how materials are handled in the material editor between V-Ray 2.4 and 3.0. If you can make a short video to demonstrate any differences, it will be very helpful.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                I think this is a different issue than the original one from the start of the thread (which concerned the V-Ray material editor).

In any case, there is no change in how materials are handled in the material editor between V-Ray 2.4 and 3.0. If you can make a short video to demonstrate any differences, it will be very helpful.

Best regards,
                Vlado

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot/noob. There's a special Vray Material Editor? I tried looking for it in the help, but couldn't find any info. How is it different from the max Material Editor and how do I activate it?. I'll try to record a video concerning my issue.
                A.

---------------------
                www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                  At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot/noob. There's a special Vray Material Editor? I tried looking for it in the help, but couldn't find any info. How is it different from the max Material Editor and how do I activate it?. I'll try to record a video concerning my issue.
                  It is the new V-Ray Vrmat material editor, which is only available in our 3.0 builds. You can access it by adding V-Ray VRmat material in the 3ds Max Material editor and then open the V-Ray Editor.
                  Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                  Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

It seems the issue has resolved itself, I simple switched back to Iray, restarted max, switched to Vray, restarted and all is fine now.

On another note is it possible to copy a material created in max's default compact material editor in the new Vray-Editor? Or is it still limited because of, for instance procedural maps that are bound to max and not with the other vray plugins.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

And it's back, after a reboot apparently. You can see a video here: http://vizioen.be/chaos/med.wmv This is realtime so no lag on my video or anything. Takes 5 seconds to load, whereas with 2.4 it took 1. Haven't tried a reinstall of max yet, but that means a lot of reinstalling plugins and setting up, which I dread.
                      A.

---------------------
                      www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                        On another note is it possible to copy a material created in max's default compact material editor in the new Vray-Editor? Or is it still limited because of, for instance procedural maps that are bound to max and not with the other vray plugins.
                        You could use Vray VR Mat Converter in order to convert entire 3DSMax Material Library to Vray one https://db.tt/SQzTIOaw. Please note that procedural maps are not supported so far so if such map is used in the shading network it won't be converted. This is going to be improved in the next releases.

According to the slow-down issue with material editor:
                        I've run a few tests with version 3.00.04 but I couldn't get any slowdowns on my side. What is the exact Vray/3DSMax version you are using?
                        I have some doubts that the issue could be related to some of the other 3rd party plugins you've installed on the machine - is there a chance to remove/uninstall all of them leaving only Vray in order to exclude them from the suspects? Another approach would be to install 3DSMax Design version or another version of 3DSMax with only Vray plugins installed and perform the same test.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
                          You could use Vray VR Mat Converter in order to convert entire 3DSMax Material Library to Vray one https://db.tt/SQzTIOaw. Please note that procedural maps are not supported so far so if such map is used in the shading network it won't be converted. This is going to be improved in the next releases.

According to the slow-down issue with material editor:
                          I've run a few tests with version 3.00.04 but I couldn't get any slowdowns on my side. What is the exact Vray/3DSMax version you are using?
                          I have some doubts that the issue could be related to some of the other 3rd party plugins you've installed on the machine - is there a chance to remove/uninstall all of them leaving only Vray in order to exclude them from the suspects? Another approach would be to install 3DSMax Design version or another version of 3DSMax with only Vray plugins installed and perform the same test.

I have version Vray 3.00.05 with 3Dsmax 2013 X64. It's weird but there's nothing I can go on, it's completely random, sometimes I have it the whole day and at times it's gone. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you.
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Please let us know if you narrow down the issue after trying the tips I've shared.
                            If it is a bug it is important for us to find out what cause it in order to fix it.

Thank you very much in advance.
                            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
                            X