Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay3 Bug - Affect Background being ignored by Progressive Sampler

Just found this one:

If you are using regular Adaptive Sampling and turn *off* Affect Background when using a photo in the Environment slot, it renders fine (well, it renders too dark during the GI calc phase but then renders fine in the main AA phase).

If you do the same as above but use the Progressive Sampler, the background remains too dark during the AA phase.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here in terms of the Environment photo and, I presume, gamma? All gamma settings are at default max/vray, reinhard mapping, linear workflow off, clamp off, mode "color mapping only", sub pixel mapping off.

Looks like a bug to me. Is there a work-around? I'd quite like to use the Progressive Sampler on this job but I really need the env. photo to be rendered unaffected so I can match it efficiently.

Cheers,
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Yes it is a bug - I've just logged in into our system.
    We will let you know when we have some updates on that regard.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar_draganov View Post
      Yes it is a bug - I've just logged in into our system.
      We will let you know when we have some updates on that regard.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
      Great thanks!
      Alex York
      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Yes I can report I have the same issue on my system...running Vray on 3ds max SP5 2014 x64 Version: 3.101

Comment

This is not a bug; the progressive sampler does not support the "affect background" option and V-Ray prints a warning about this. There are no plans to implement this right now.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I remember that issue - we shipped around that one by piping the background color into an output node and adjusting the output accordingly so we would get the same visible itnensity for testing purposes. We then switched it off for final rendering with the bucket renderer.
            Software:
            Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              This is not a bug; the progressive sampler does not support the "affect background" option and V-Ray prints a warning about this. There are no plans to implement this right now.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Can I ask what the reasoning is behind this? My understanding is that the idea was to make the PS basically identical to the AS, just have it act in a progressive way.
              Alex York
              www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                Can I ask what the reasoning is behind this? My understanding is that the idea was to make the PS basically identical to the AS, just have it act in a progressive way.
                As usual, performance and memory concerns. The "affect background" option works after the final pixel values are computed; V-Ray keeps track of the background contribution to a pixel and before writing the pixel values, separates the pixel color into background and foreground in order to apply the correction to the foreground only, with some quirks if there is transparency involved, and then reassembles the pixel value. For the progressive sampler, these calculations would need to be performed for each pass and the additonal information needs to be kept in RAM all the time. This adds more processing and RAM requirements for each pixel, and complicates the code for the progressive sampler. It didn't seem justified to do all that only in order to support that option.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

As usual, performance and memory concerns. The "affect background" option works after the final pixel values are computed; V-Ray keeps track of the background contribution to a pixel and before writing the pixel values, separates the pixel color into background and foreground in order to apply the correction to the foreground only, with some quirks if there is transparency involved, and then reassembles the pixel value. For the progressive sampler, these calculations would need to be performed for each pass and the additonal information needs to be kept in RAM all the time. This adds more processing and RAM requirements for each pixel, and complicates the code for the progressive sampler. It didn't seem justified to do all that only in order to support that option.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Thanks for clarifying. We use it a lot, here, for various reasons, and finding the the PS is generally not best for our work-flow on most jobs, but it's come in handy occasionally, while testing.
                  Alex York
                  www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                    We use it a lot, here, for various reasons
                    You mean the "affect background option"? What is the most common use case?

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

You mean the "affect background option"? What is the most common use case?

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      Turn Affect Background off, so we can use the original backplate in the render. Makes it much quicker to work when integrating cg elements into a backplate. I know you can do it with carefully mapped planes etc. but it all works perfectly in the regular Adaptive Sampler. It can also help to avoid fringing issues with transparent objects and fine details when comping back over the plate.
                      Alex York
                      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Hmm, would it work to use the "background" color correction in V-Ray VFB instead? Or you need this for animations?

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Hmm, would it work to use the "background" color correction in V-Ray VFB instead? Or you need this for animations?

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          I've not tried that, actually! Will give it a go. The critical thing is that the BG in the final rendered image is exactly the same as the original backplate, so whichever approach works, I guess. Will try that one out.
                          Alex York
                          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X