DR not using all render servers, or uses them inconsistently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR not using all render servers, or uses them inconsistently

I use one main workstation and have 4 other render servers for DR. Up until recently DR would consistently use all 5 computers, every time I sent a render. Lately DR does not consistently use all of them. The strange thing is sometimes (rarely) all 5 computers will show up, other times 2, 3 or 4 of them, and which computers get used in DR always changes quite randomly, so it's not like one or 2 of the computers have a problem and just don't work with DR, they all seem to work sometimes.

This is really slowing down my workflow as I've always depended on using all 5 computers for higher-res renderings. Has anyone ran into something similar and know of a solution? Could this be a problem with Vray, Backburner (although I'm not sure if backburner has anything to do with DR), a hardware problem (perhaps my router or modem are starting to go??). Any thoughts? cheers

Which V-Ray version? What kind of error do you get in the V-Ray log file? Also, have you changed firewall settings, antivirus programs, network configurations, Windows updates?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

version of Vray is 2.45.01 for Max 2012 64 bit (nightly version 22704 if that helps)

the Vray Log says:
      could not connect to host (ip address of computer): no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
      could not connect to host (ip address of a different computer): Connection timeout
      could not connect to host (ip address of a different computer): Connection timeout

so in this case I guess there were 3 computers that did not work with DR.

As far as I know I haven't made any changes to firewall settings, antivirus, or windows update. I have automatic windows updates turn off because I have run into problems with updates in the past.

One thing that has changed is I recently moved offices and was given a new internet modem/router by my ISP. I'm still using the same network switch as previously, can you tell me if DR makes use of the internet modem/router, or if all of the data transfer occurs only through the network switch. Could a new modem be a possible cause of DR problems?

Comment

It looks like some sort of network issue; the master machine just can't connect to the slaves. Are you able to ping them successfully? How long is the ping time?

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Thanks so much for the help Vlado!

I ping tested all of the slaves from the master machine and they were all successful with a reported time of 0ms.

I also noticed that before this problem came up I used to be able to put the computer name of the license server (my main workstation) in the 'Primary License Server' section of the Vray license server information dialogue, but at some point all of the render servers were no longer able to obtain the Vray license so I had to start putting the IP address of the main license server in the info box instead of the computer name and that fixed that problem, not sure if that means anything.

Comment

Hm, so have you tried putting IPs in the DR server dialog instead of computer names (not sure what you had originally)?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

I've tried putting in IP addresses in the DR server dialogue like you suggested (previously I had the computer names in there) and it still does not include all of the server during DR and is still using them sporadically. In the past uninstalling and re-installing backburner on all machines has solved some problems for me with network rendering, I'm tempted to try it again - would this be a waste of time?

Comment

we had this couple of times in the past.... reason being 2, both caused by MS:
                1. different WINDOWS actualisation on the various servers
                2. firewall miraculously appeared to be set on by itself

try updating the windows as much as you can and turn of the firewalls completely everywhere afterwards ...perhaps it will help !
                Fingers crossed
                Martin
                http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I will give this a try and let you know how it goes. I get a bit nervous updating windows because a few times in the past it caused more problems than good. Do you recommend completely turning the firewalls on all of the computers? Maybe I'll try that on the render slaves first and leave it on my main workstation and see if that helps. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Burns View Post
                    Do you recommend completely turning the firewalls on all of the computers? Maybe I'll try that on the render slaves first and leave it on my main workstation and see if that helps. Cheers
                    You could try allowing incoming and outgoing exceptions in advanced firewall settings for port 20204 (the official V-Ray builds)
                    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

you should already have a decent firewall on your router so what we do is turn the windows ones completely off.
                      Hate updating too, so we only do it maybe 2x a year
                      Martin
                      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Working...
                      X