Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V 3.006 crashing while writing out an exr

Hello guys.

I have here a strange problem. Finishing a render with exr as output, max crashes while attempting writing out the exr. Restarting max and just hit the render button again - all works fine.

Thats each time i try to render the scene the first time and write out the exr.

Btw - the main exr is somehow corrupt. At least fusion can't read it. The RGB pass is fine though...

And, I can't pass you the file. Its huge. It has a ton of vray proxy trees in... It's not an issue for rendering but I simply can't pass it due to a NDA.
    Last edited by o-v; 27-05-2014, 08:13 AM.

Are you writing the OpenEXR through the V-Ray frame buffer "raw image file" option or through the regular 3ds Max output or through the "Split render channels" option? Do you get a CER dialog after the crash?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes! I'm writing out throught the vray frame buffer and yes, throught the "split render channels" option.

No dialog whatsoever - just simple Autodesk error report dialog...

Comment

Originally posted by o-v View Post
        No dialog whatsoever - just simple Autodesk error report dialog...
        Yes, this is what I meant. In that case, right after the crash, can you send to vlado@chaosgroup.com the file 3dsmax_minidump.dmp from your temp folder (type %temp% in Windows explorer to go there)?

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

mail is on the way.

Comment

I have a similar bug

Vray throws an error message every frame when I use the split render option. I close the dialog and everything saves correctly but the same error dialog pops up the next frame.

additionally

Vray Adv deep pixel exrs DO NOT load in fusion while Vray RT deep pixels DO load in fusion

fusion gives me this error message when trying to load Vray Adv deep pixel exrs

OpenEXR: Cannot read image file "E:\Work\verus\elements\Dagger\meh0000.exr". The file format version number's flag field contains unrecognized flags.
            My website with free maxscripts and tutorials |

Comment

What kind of error message comes up? Do you have render elements with names longer than 31 characters?

Also to avoid confusion, please start a new thread in such cases - your issue is very likely different from the original problem that was discussed above.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Last edited by vlado; 10-06-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

the V-Ray error simply says 'There were errors writing to output'.

With a bit of test I found this ONLY happens when I have: V-Ray raw image file, Deep Pixel, and 'Separate render channels' all active at the same time.

I guess this means 'Deep Pixels' break 'Separate render channels'

Comment

Originally posted by o-v View Post

Btw - the main exr is somehow corrupt. At least fusion can't read it. The RGB pass is fine though...
                  I've chased down the fusion issue.... basically fusion deep pixels and openExr deep pixels are not the same.

Deep pixels are a special feature of exr version2 and not supported in fusion. ( exr2 can store multiple values at different depths for each pixel. )

So.. to get the VRay Frame buffer with all the elements you can use the VRay-Raw image file but simply leave Deep pixels OFF

Comment

Working...
                  X