Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSS2 Artefacts/flickering

Hi there,

I recently had some trouble with the Ss2 material. It happens rarely, but when it does its really annoying and I couldn´t find a way to get rid of it yet.
    Due to rendertimes I always used "prepass based illumination" instead of "Raytraced", since it still renders 3-5 times faster.
    On my last animation I got some nasty flickering/artefacts on one of the SSS2 materials though.
    I usually get away with a prepass rate of -1, even for production, but since the objects were moving quite fast, I tried increasing it up to 1, but the problem still persisted.
    I also tried switching to "object based illumination" map (I think that was only introduced in the nightlies, we are on version 3.004) with samples per unit set to 64 but I still got those flickering problems.

I don´t have the time right now to fix the issue, so i was wondering if you encounter that from time to time and have a solution.

Also I never quite understood what the prepass mode was for and if or how I should use it for animation.
    There is no GI in the scene, but I know about the flickerfree approach with Irmap and since the prepass for sss is kind of a similar solution, I was wondering If it needs to be treated the same...

We will need a scene to see what is going on; it is difficult to say what may be the problem just from the description.

Bet regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I´ve prepared a stripped down version which I´ll send to support, because the original file had a lot more going on with cached Pflow, which would be too big to send.
      If you can´t reproduce the problem I´ll at least know it´s not in the problematic material itself...

Comment

I just tried again with prepass at 1, but I also removed the bump-map from the SSS material and now it seems to be flicker free...

Comment

Odd, I thought we ignore the bump for the illumination maps anyways. But thanks for the pointer - will check it out.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Its actually something I noticed before, that happens especially with big radius values and noise maps as bump maps.

Comment

Working...
            X