Another Distributed Rendering Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Distributed Rendering Problem

Ok, I've read over all the threads on DR problems with no luck at my end. First, note that DR worked for me with max 2013 (master win7, slave win xp64).
    I'm now using max 2015, sp1 (both master and slave are win7, slave is same computer used for 2013, just different OS), and vray 3.0006.
    I get the warning: Render host ... is not responding.
    I've done a prior backburner render.
    I'm manually starting dr spawner.
    I've got all firewalls turned off, and have added inbound and outbound exceptions for port 20204, and for 3ds max2015.exe on both computers.
    I've got both windows defender turned off, and have no other firewalls or antivirus.
    I have checked the license from the slave with http://servername:30304, and the correct information shows.
    I'm just rendering a teapot with no applied material.
    The dummy in slave appears to load fine and be stable, although the "hover" name is vray_server_scene.max, not vray dummy.
    I've rebooted both computers several times.
    I've attached the vray log from the slave (which I had to rename as a *.txt file for it to upload), and the vray log from the host (which I had to delete the "vray settings" portion, because you have a size limit for txt files).

What next? thanx --ds
    Attached Files

Could you please also attach Vray Log from from the render-node (one of the machines running VraySpawner).
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

here it is, it doesn't seem to have much info though ....
      Attached Files

Comment

This is because the VraySpawner is either stopped or restarted.
        Please make sure that Restart Servers on Render End option is unchecked from the workstation machine, then run DR rendering.
        After the render is complete please do not close anything, go to the slave-machine, find the log fine into %temp% directory and send it to us.
        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

OK, When I found the vray log on the slave, and read it, it said that it couldn't find a license (in spite of the fact that I had checked it in the browser as often requested). So I made some changes, which allowed it to find the license (I think), and I also made numerous more permission changes to the windows firewall, and changed it so that the slave was in the same "workgroup" as the master. And probably some more that I can't remember. And now, for example, when I hover over the max icon in the toolbar it does say vray dummy. Unfortunately, I still have almost the same problem. Before I would get only 3 lines that said "render host not responding" now that repeats until the render is complete. I'm including new files for you to review. The master vray log looks somewhat different than before, as does the slave vray spawner log. Unfortunately, the slave vray log doesn't have any info in it, so I'm not sure what all of this will tell you. The vray spawner is definitely working and I don't have "restart" checked on. (I again had to delete some lines from the master log file as it was too big for your limit).
          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, some new and very confusing information. Just for the sake of it, I turned off "use local host" under distributed render settings, and the render slave actually rendered the frame!!!???? I then turned it back on, and the problem has returned. I'm including the successful vray slave log file here. Baffling. --ds
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Usually this warning appears when there is no license available to proceed the job.
              Note that one V-Ray 3.0 Workstation license give you one GUI license and one Render node license. Please check your license server status page.

If you still has problems with V-Ray DR rendering or need any information, please contact us at support@chaosgroup.com and we will provide you with additional support.
              Thank you very much.
              Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Ok, as I just learned from support, I apparently misunderstood the new licensing structure and thought that we still got to do distributed rendering for "free". And this is not the case. I'd just like to add that for small freelance businesses like mine (with only two rendering computers) this really hurts. --ds

Comment

We are sorry to hear that you didn't have the proper information from the start.
                  It will be really helpful for us to understand what caused the confusion. Can you tell us from where did you try to obtain the information for the new licensing?
                  Thanks.
                  Last edited by Filip.Stoyanov; 10-06-2014, 01:02 AM.

Comment

I thought under the base license you could use your workstation and one render node for DR?
                    Cheers,
                    -dave
                    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

Syclone1, you are correct.
                      Just to add a clarification: when you purchase the product V-Ray 3.0 Workstation for 3ds Max you receive one license to use V-Ray inside Max and one V-Ray Render Nodes 3.0 license which allows you to do any type of rendering on one machine.

Comment

I think the confusion for me (and maybe for Syclone1) is that we think of one vray license to use inside max and one vray render node, means one "additional" vray render node, as using vray inside max always meant "rendering" inside max. Now that I've read the license information on your website more carefully, I understand that I can use vray on a computer independently from rendering with that computer, which may be helpful for some people with more sophisticated and larger setups. For people like me who just have an old computer that they want to use to help out with rendering (as it's not useful for much more), just being able to buy one extra render node at an affordable price would be a good thing.
                        Although I have to add that I just got an email from the Vray sales person which confuses me even more. She implies that since I upgraded from 2 to 3 I can get up to 10 render nodes at a very affordable price, which I didn't see anywhere on the chaos website. So I'm going to call and confirm that with my reseller right now. I can't imagine I'm the only person that has been confused by all these changes. Still love the product though, and can't wait to try out all the new capabilities. --ds

Comment

Have you checked this page for more information on the upgrade:
                          http://www.chaosgroup.com/en/2/vray_licensing.html#tab4

Comment

Ah ok, I misunderstood. I was under the impression with the basic license that one could use their workstation and a single DR slave to render their projects.

~dave
                            Cheers,
                            -dave
                            ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

To Syclone1, glad I'm not the only one
                              To Filip, yes, i've checked that page, and I think I finally understand the system. thanx --ds

Comment

Working...
                              X