Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3, removed DOF subdivs

Hi,

The dof subdivs have been removed, as stated in the manual you can improve dof by setting AA properties.

I do wonder how you can improve only the DOF noise, without increasing quality of all other subdivs in the scene (for example glossy reflection, area shadows etc).

What AA setting should be changed so you get a similar effect as increasing the DOF subdivs in vray2?

Kind regards,

Wouter
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Just the max subdivs. Vlado's method is don't bother touching any of the sampling controls on lights or materials but use your max AA to get your DOF sampling looking how you want it and then gradually raise the min shading rate control to increase the quality of your light, materials and GI.

Comment

Ok thanks, I'm used to working the other way around

If for example a floor material is too noisy, I raise the subdivs for that material. That way every other part of the scene won't render slower. But maybe the same is through with these max subdivs as it will only use the max subdivs on the noisy parts of the image (depending on the global DMC adaptive amount?)
      Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

This applies only to using DOF i thought. The reason being that DOF subdivs only created additional camera rays anyways. So having a seperated spinner does not really change anything under the hood.

Cheers,
        Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
          What AA setting should be changed so you get a similar effect as increasing the DOF subdivs in vray2?
          Increase the AA max subdivs. This is exactly what happened in vray 2 if you increased the DOF subdivs anyways.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ok thanks. So in Vray 2, the dof subdivs were some kind of multiplier for the max AA subdivs?

Comment

Originally posted by flipside View Post
              Ok thanks. So in Vray 2, the dof subdivs were some kind of multiplier for the max AA subdivs?
              Something like that.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, will have do some tests and rethink my current way of using the AA settings

Comment

in vray 2 if you have a scene with 1,1 so it has no aa, and turn DOF on (but so everything is in focus) it will suddenly have AA because it's using the 8 subdivisions from there.

Comment

This has been working pretty well for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X