• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banding in Glazing Material

SOLVED. see last post.

Hi folks,

Quick one - getting banding in my glazing:

It's not the material that's the issue as far as I can tell because it's used elsewhere in the scene and there are no issues. There are no double faces/coplanar faces etc. that I can see.

There is 1 x 150mm spherical vray light inside each room near the window. Increasing the multi on this does help somewhat. Is this the problem?

Using Progressive mode, latest 07 official build, design 2014. Rendering to VFB float output to 32bit EXR but issue visible in VFB too.

Lit using an HDRI in env slot.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by alexyork; 20-06-2014, 05:18 AM.
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

I know you said its not the material but I had the same issue when I was using anisotropy + ward brdf. It was not visible everywhere so I thought it was a normal issue but as soon as set anisotropy back to 0 the issue was gone.
    Cheers,
    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Would it be possible to get us a scene for that to support@chaosgroup.com ?

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
        I know you said its not the material but I had the same issue when I was using anisotropy + ward brdf. It was not visible everywhere so I thought it was a normal issue but as soon as set anisotropy back to 0 the issue was gone.
        going to check this now - thanks for heads-up. It's a standard, slightly modified Siger shader.
        Alex York
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
          Nope - using Phong and 0 Anisotropy, so not that.
          Alex York
          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Well damn :/ Sorry thought I could shed some light on the issue.
            Cheers,
            Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

It looks to me like smoothing group is messed up behind on celling.
              CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

SOLVED - ended up being a duplicate ruddy ceiling object... Sketchup models..................!
                Alex York
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                  SOLVED - ended up being a duplicate ruddy ceiling object... Sketchup models..................!
                  Bah so close so close...

Comment

Thanks for trying!

I absolutely cannot stand SketchUp models. Even the best, cleanest modellers still somehow produce crappy models because of the way SketchUp makes it very hard to see mistakes as you model.
                    Alex York
                    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                      Thanks for trying!

I absolutely cannot stand SketchUp models. Even the best, cleanest modellers still somehow produce crappy models because of the way SketchUp makes it very hard to see mistakes as you model.
                      Yea I agree! Also how do you import it? I found 3ds format to be very nice !

Comment

Sketchup exports .3ds? I've always used the sketchup file directly which 3dsmax will import. I agree that sketchup geometry has always been a mess and a pain to deal with.
                        Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Nothing works properly. Any method has issues with flipped faces and duplicates. The issue is with the developer of SketchUp and a very out-dated importer for max, unfortunately.
                          Alex York
                          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

wow I have completely different experience ! Then again I model my sketchup models so its different. I keep them clean and smooth. No flipped faces no problems. Once I get them to max they look pretty bang on great.

Comment

Originally posted by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal) View Post
                              wow I have completely different experience ! Then again I model my sketchup models so its different. I keep them clean and smooth. No flipped faces no problems. Once I get them to max they look pretty bang on great.
                              Perhaps you could visit some of my architect clients to educate them on proper modeling techniques!
                              Alex York
                              www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X