Vray 3.00.07 normal map problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 3.00.07 normal map problem

There seems to be a problem with normal maps in the V-Ray production renderer. If I change the bump intensity of a normal map, always the whole reflection layer is offset. With RT everything is fine.
    I´ve attached a testscene which explains it a little bit better. Just render the image with different bump values and compare the results. Take a look at the reflection of the Vray light, the position changes with different bump values.
    So it´s impossible to make layered material with different values, because the reflection will be offset.
    If you try the same with RT, it looks correct.
    Attached Files

Thank you very much for the feedback and the attached scene and screen-shots.
    We've reported this issue into our bug-tracking system and we will let you know when we have some updates about it.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi,
      I may be of help here since I had the exact same issue. In the Bitmap loader of the Normalmap make sure your Gamma is set to 1.0 (or was it 2.2?). EIther one, change it from one to another and it should work fine.
      Software:
      Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
      NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
        Hi,
        I may be of help here since I had the exact same issue. In the Bitmap loader of the Normalmap make sure your Gamma is set to 1.0 (or was it 2.2?). EIther one, change it from one to another and it should work fine.
        Thanks Art48, this was my first thought too, but changing the Gamma doesn´t fix this. Maybe you could try the attached scene to double check this.

Comment

That'ss really strange. That exact highlight shifting was fixed for me by doing the right input gamma setting.
          Last edited by Art48; 23-06-2014, 02:49 AM.
          Software:
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Yes this definitely looks like a bug to me, especially because it renders correct with RT.

Comment

Originally posted by katho3d View Post
              Yes this definitely looks like a bug to me, especially because it renders correct with RT.

Ah okay, that is strange. Maybe it is connected with the legacy Gamma settings. They still seem to be slumbering inside max, from time to time the gamma input/output settings come up even though the settings are no longer visible. Did you render out the normal map by yourself?
              Software:
              3ds Max 2016 SP4
              V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
              64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Yes I´ve created the map with the Nvidia normal map filter in Photoshop.

Comment

This happens because of the non-uniform scale for the object. Will try to fix it, but in the meantime, if you apply an Edit Mesh modifier and scale the vertices instead, it should be fine.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado, thats interesting, because I usually never scale objects non-uniform. I´ve created this object only for testing various materials.

Comment

Thanks for the info - I dont usually scale non-uniformly, too, that's propably why I didnt have this problem in that context yet.
                      Software:
                      3ds Max 2016 SP4
                      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Working...
                      X