Problem with Caustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Caustics

Hi guys, we have a weird problem with underwater caustics.

We want to simulate caustics from a underwater lamp in a swimming pool, and we get weird "black hole" effect just above the light.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rgb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	880402Click image for larger version

Name:	caustic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	880403

We've tried different types of light and playing with the settings but nothing seems to help.

Here is a simple scene showing the problem:
    causticProblem.zip
    REDVERTEX
    redvertex.com

When tracing the caustics, V-Ray doesn't know that the light is below the water, and assumes the caustics rays start from a medium with refractive index 1.0. So the photon rays don't bounce inside the water quite correctly.

To fix this, enclose the light in a sphere with inverted normals and the same material as the water - see attachment.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Attached Files
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, is this similar in concept to the underwater Snell's Window thread from a while back? I feel like this came up once before.

Comment

Originally posted by Deflaminis View Post
        Vlado, is this similar in concept to the underwater Snell's Window thread from a while back? I feel like this came up once before.
        Yes, exactly.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks a lot Vlado. That fixed the problem.
          REDVERTEX
          redvertex.com

Comment

Wow! This has straightened out a lot of issues I had with water and caustics. I am still on 1.5 since I bought it at a better financial time and I have always only done this for personal pleasure rendering. I can't wait to get home from work to experiment with this (my day job has never been CG). Love V-Ray! Did the Under The Board Walk scene from 3dRender.com and I was very pleased with the NEW results!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X