Blending FastSSS2 with VrayMtl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending FastSSS2 with VrayMtl

It seems like its not fully possible to mix and blend the VrayFastSSS2 with the normal VrayMtl. I have a transparent VrayMtl with glossy refractions but they dont appear glossy at all when I blend them with the SSS Mat - only when I turn on the VrayMtl on 100%s is the glossy refraction visible.

BTW, one reason I want to blend the materials is the inability to produce glossy refractions with the FastSSS2 shader.
    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
    www.AddYourLight.com
    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Hm, this particular case will probably not work too well as both materials are attempting to do stuff inside the object. It would be better handled when we add glossy refraction to the sss2 shader itself.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Hm, this particular case will probably not work too well as both materials are attempting to do stuff inside the object. It would be better handled when we add glossy refraction to the sss2 shader itself.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      +1 for that feature. I am doing that right now with noise bump...
      but I thought it would look very interesting to be able to blend SSS with a normal translucent material, artistic wise
      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
      www.AddYourLight.com
      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Best regards,
        Vlado
        That'd be very useful - using translucency in the main material was the only way to do it before but it's a tad nasty on render times.

Comment

Glossy refractions inside the SSS2 shader is 100% critical
          admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
          Mastering CGI
          CGSociety Folio
          CREAM Studios
          Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Well you have the VRayScatterVolumeMtl material now so you can do that if the coat material is glossy refractive.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Well you have the VRayScatterVolumeMtl material now so you can do that if the coat material is glossy refractive.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Is it physical to use additive mode with the Scatter Volume?
              Cheers,
              I've actually been trying this, must have been doing something wrong cause I haven't been able to achieve the effect

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                Is it physical to use additive mode with the Scatter Volume?
                I don't think it matters in this case.

I've actually been trying this, must have been doing something wrong cause I haven't been able to achieve the effect
                What kind of effect do you want to achieve?

In any case, it looks like things are moving away from "fast" sss models like dipole approximation and so on (the one used for the VRayFastSSS2 material); even Disney in their latest physically based model simply used path tracing (which is what the VRayScatterVolumeMtl material does) and found out it was not much slower.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

I don't think it matters in this case.

What kind of effect do you want to achieve?

In any case, it looks like things are moving away from "fast" sss models like dipole approximation and so on (the one used for the VRayFastSSS2 material); even Disney in their latest physically based model simply used path tracing (which is what the VRayScatterVolumeMtl material does) and found out it was not much slower.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

So turns out I didn't realise blending a 100% refractive material over the top still retained the color of the scatter volume, awesome! Also, in my initial test, I didn't have effect shadow turned out,
                  Now I'm getting the effect I desired! Awesome!
                  (Before I was seeing things as if there was an IOR of 1.0 on the refractions)

----------------------
                  Mastering CGI
                  CGSociety Folio
                  CREAM Studios
                  Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Are there any plans to add fog bias parameter to VrayScatterVolume material? I found this parameter in standard VrayMtl very useful...

Comment

Originally posted by Mnietek2707 View Post
                      Are there any plans to add fog bias parameter to VrayScatterVolume material? I found this parameter in standard VrayMtl very useful...
                      I'm not sure yet. It's a cheat of sorts and the scatter volume material relies on things being physically accurate a lot.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

I am playing with this and I miss this parameter. I've used this all the time with VrayMtl translucency. I think this is the only way to achieve look of dense volume - almost opaque...
                        Why this is not physical? I thought that this parameter describes how quickly density of fog increases with distance..
                        ____
                        sorry for my English

Comment

Working...
                        X