Glass Refraction Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass Refraction Problem

I've been tweaking my glass settings for a recent project and have discovered a refraction problem. Basically, objects close to the glass are causing black refraction spots on my glass. As I remove those objects, the problem starts to go away. Been tweaking my settings but can't fix the issue.

Reflections have been completely turned off to narrow down the problem.

Would love some thoughts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	glassProblem1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	880459Click image for larger version

Name:	glassProblem2.JPG
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	880460Click image for larger version

Name:	glassProblem3.JPG
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	880461Click image for larger version

Name:	glassProblem4.JPG
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	880462

Okay, just found that if I turn my fog multiplier to zero the problem goes away, but I'm left with no fog. lol.

EDIT. actually, the problem remains when camera is at a different angle.

Boo.
    Last edited by landrvr1; 12-07-2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Well, I found a quasi fix. The original glass panes were made from a standard Max box - which I've never had an issue with in the past. I recreated them as planes, but with the 'shell' modifier applied, and the problem went away. Bizarre.

Comment

It's strange indeed. If you still have the old scene around, can you send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com to investigate what is wrong with it?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, just sent an email with a download link. Tnx very much.

Comment

Vlado any discoveries made? tnx

Comment

Hey Vlado, just checking in again..

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for sending us the file for further investigation. Unfortunately Vlado is very busy at the moment and his reply might be delayed.

I'm checking the scene right now and want to ask you for more details. Which V-Ray version you are using to render and the exact camera name?

Attaching the result that i get from camera 064 and latest official V-Ray 3
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	853846
                Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello
                  I have the same problem.
                  The geometry is a chamfer box 3dsmax and she is used as an Xref. The problem occurs when I use a color in the "fog color" and when "fog Multipler" is different from 0.
                  I currently use 3dsmax 2014 vray 2:40:04.
                  However, I also had this problem with earlier versions of 3dsmax and vray. (Max 2010 vray 1.5.xx and 2.xx.xx)
                  I remember to have solved in the past by reconstructing the geometry, but can not remember how ...
                  Or fogmultipler setting to 0 (glass perfectly clear but not real) and adding a little 'green / blue in post production.
                  In any case, it is really a big problem for me because I work with Xref ...
                  Please fix!

Comment

Originally posted by Santiago_X64 View Post
                    In any case, it is really a big problem for me because I work with Xref ...
                    I doubt that this is the same issue. In order to have your particular problem examined, please send a scene to support@chaosgroup.com so that we can see what's wrong.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hello Vlado
                      thanks for your reply.
                      If I collapse the xref in the scene, we have the same problem ...
                      I send you the scene.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Santiago_X64; 22-07-2014, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                        Hi,

Thank you for sending us the file for further investigation. Unfortunately Vlado is very busy at the moment and his reply might be delayed.

I'm checking the scene right now and want to ask you for more details. Which V-Ray version you are using to render and the exact camera name?

Attaching the result that i get from camera 064 and latest official V-Ray 3
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20246[/ATTACH]
                        Hi Tashko/Vlado.

I'm using 2.40.04.
                        The camera for that scene is VRayPhysicalCameraMAIN073

I see in your shot that the problem is occurring even with V-Ray 3. I believe all the cameras share the same settings (with the exception of a different custom balance on exterior cams).

Tnx!

Comment

Originally posted by landrvr1 View Post
                          Hi Tashko/Vlado.

I'm using 2.40.04.
                          The camera for that scene is VRayPhysicalCameraMAIN073

I see in your shot that the problem is occurring even with V-Ray 3. I believe all the cameras share the same settings (with the exception of a different custom balance on exterior cams).

Tnx!
                          Thank you. We are investigating now and as soon as we have any news will post here.

Update: we have logged this issue to our bug tracking system. It seems there is an issue with some go that has been edited, but this have to be confirmed by our developers.
                          Will keep this thread updated
                          Last edited by tashko.zashev; 24-07-2014, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by landrvr1 View Post
                            Well, I found a quasi fix. The original glass panes were made from a standard Max box - which I've never had an issue with in the past. I recreated them as planes, but with the 'shell' modifier applied, and the problem went away. Bizarre.
                            Have your original window boxes been modified somehow before the rendering process? I mean scaled, edited, merged from other scene which has different units...

We have also managed to get good render results when replaced the current ones. However, we will try to find what the issue is.

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                              Have your original window boxes been modified somehow before the rendering process? I mean scaled, edited, merged from other scene which has different units...
                              The windows boxes started out as just one original Max box. An edit mesh modifier was then applied.

The problem still exists when you just draw a brand new box window - no modifiers - and move it into position in that doorway! The closer a window gets to that jamb/mullion, the issue shows up. None of the other glass panels are showing the problem...

Comment

Working...
                              X