Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to use VRayDisplacementMod along with Multiscatter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to use VRayDisplacementMod along with Multiscatter?

I noticed that I cannot use multiscatter on displaced surfaces as in it will just treat the distribution object as if without VRayDisplacementMod applied. Is there a way to make it work which doesnt involve baking the displacement via the standard max displacement modifier?
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

nope - displacement happens at render time, after the scatter.

you should use the max displace for the big moves and a high detail map in the vray displacement for the fine details.

Comment

Yeah, I was just wondering. I did it with the max displacement now, but I would have preferred to use the VRayDisplacementMod. Maybe I ask the guys from Multiscatter if there is a such way, would prove useful.
      Software:
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

There might be a way, but it would be very inconvenient for the MultiScatter guys.

V-Ray 3.10 coming out this fall has a new API for creating instances at render time and it can instance anything, including objects with VRayDisplacementMod (though memory usage might be higher in that case).

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          There might be a way, but it would be very inconvenient for the MultiScatter guys.

V-Ray 3.10 coming out this fall has a new API for creating instances at render time and it can instance anything, including objects with VRayDisplacementMod (though memory usage might be higher in that case).

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Thanks for the headsup, that's definitely cool news, although you might have got me wrong.
          While scattering a displaced geometry definitely is cool, in this case I am talking about scattering ON a displaced object. Meaning Object A with VRayDisplacementMod serves as surface for scattered instances of Object B (no VRayDisplacementMod).

Edit: Woah! If I got this right it could be possible to render PFlow particles via VRay-instanced geometry at rendertime?
          Software:
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
            Meaning Object A with VRayDisplacementMod serves as surface for scattered instances of Object B (no VRayDisplacementMod).
            Ah, I see. In that case the Displace modifier is the way to go, yes.

Edit: Woah! If I got this right it could be possible to render PFlow particles via VRay-instanced geometry at rendertime?
            Yes...

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X