VRIMG to EXR convert with Deep Data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRIMG to EXR convert with Deep Data?

I recently rendered an image using deep data but forgot to change the file extension of the raw file to EXR. I tried using both the VRImage to EXR Converter and vrimg2exr to convert the vrimg file (which was saved out with the "Raw EXR Deep" option selected) to EXR but Nuke's DeepRead node does not recognise the EXR that was output. I can, however, read the EXR with a standard Read node in Nuke and then retrieve what looks like deep data with a DeepfromImage Node, however I don't think this looks correct.

My question is, can a VRImage file hold deep data? If so, is it possible to convert it to EXR while retaining the deep data?

Thanks

Justin

'
    Last edited by Junglejuz; 25-07-2014, 07:00 PM.

No, unfortunately the .vrimg file does not store the deep data.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado. So then what is the point in the vrimage format? Is it now obsolete?

Comment

Originally posted by Junglejuz View Post
        Thanks Vlado. So then what is the point in the vrimage format?
        It has one big advantage over OpenEXR: partially written files can be opened and viewed. This means that if something happens to a render, you can still recover the part of the image that has rendered so far (at least, with the bucket renderer). This is not possible with OpenEXR.

Beyond that, vrimg files existed long before OpenEXR and it seems that some people find them a more convenient fit in a pipeline, even if they are later on converted to other formats.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X