Slicing objects with Displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicing objects with Displacement

i'm trying to slice objects into smaller pieces. the problem is they have displacement applied. upon sliceing there is a nasty gab visible. is there any way to fill this gap?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	volumeslice_problem.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	880502
    keep continuity does unfortunately not help in this case, or am i doing something wrong?
    is there any other workaround beside using the hi-res meshes?

thanks on any info on this problem.
    Last edited by secondplace; 28-07-2014, 10:11 AM.
    my website: www.akar.sg

Well displacement will always move geometry from its original location, which is why in the vray displacement modifier you have the "shift" option to counteract any unwanted movement. The only works in the direction of the surface normals (same as displacement).
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Are these separate planes or they are one object?
      Have you tried to use the Shift parameter like Macker suggested? Try to put the same number as in the Amount field but with negative sign.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

thanks for the replies

i did try quite a lot of things and devoted far too much time of my life on displacement issues
        the shift option unfortunately will not fill the gap and i have to keep it level to have the object the same size as the sculpted hi res model.

to actually use the hi res object would be a possible (but a rather memory intensive) workaround as mentioned in the first post.

i do have a workflow for hero objects when breaking up objects but it would be far too time intensive when fracturing/slicing many objects in the scene.

here is a picture of some further tests i did:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	displacement_comparsion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	853869
        finalrender mtd modifier does fill the gap but the result is not very promising and the fr displacement result is (very very) far from being usable.
        the native displace modifier in 3dsmax does a fairly good job but with filling the gab. but i'm having issues on the modifiers behavior. for example the front is displacing towards the center and not outwards as the other faces. with additional normal mapping the result would be quite pleasing.
        the vray displacement is by far the best but there is currently probably no way to fill the gap.
        Last edited by secondplace; 28-07-2014, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Why don't just convert the original geometry to VrayProxy instead using low-res mesh with displacement ? This will solve the memory issue.
          A more detailed information about what exactly you are trying to do will be very useful for us - there might be another way to do that, f.e. it is possible to use VrayClipper to clip objects with displacement and the gap will be automatically capped.

Comment

i'm trying to find a workflow to fracture/slice stones, statues, walls... anything really, to have them fall apart as rigid bodies.
            if i have a object to fracture with displacement, the above problem occurres. right now it looks like to go with hires geometry or 3dsmax native displace modifier but both will end up with heavy memory usage.

Comment

The best option would be to fracture the high-res geometry, and then export it into a single proxy object for rendering.

Comment

i just tried your suggestion.
                if i export it into a single object how can i apply massfx rigid body modifier to the separate pieces for the simulation?
                or would you solve the simulation first and then export the animation to a proxy file?

would be nice to have a real displacement modifier that actually modifies the object geometry. right now it's more like a displacement material that sneaked into the modifiers

Comment

You have to first complete the simulation and then export it to VrayProxy, the other way around won't work since once the geometry is exported it cannot be changed anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X